Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,873   Posts: 1,520,160   Online: 1002

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TLR or SLR?

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You sould consider what your needs are now as compared to the future in relation to your budget. How many lenses do you need or can you work with just the one normal lens for the time being.

The C330 is a fine camera I too owned at one time with several lenses. But now I have a Hasselblad but only the 80mm lens, (95% of my shooting is with 4x5 for which I have 4 lenses). That 80mm lens is very versitile!

If you opt for the C330 and decide to go to another camera, you will only have to shell out more money.

You can always add on as the needs arise.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hi Sparx

You should be able to change lenses mid-roll in ANY Mamiya tlr.
    To change lenses,you need to turn a dial to the "unlock" position,which moves(if the camera is in full working order,and the seals are ok) a light baffle between the lens and the film.
    I have a C33,and despite the extra weight and the lack of a built in light meter(I have a reasonably priced handheld meter which weighs next to nothing,so that's no great problem!),I prefer using it to my 35mm slr.
    Basically,it's a simple camera-which makes it easy to use.
    A common mistake people made when designing something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Computers are incredibly stupid,but they are capable of being incredibly stupid many millions of times a second.

Both said by Doug Adams

Only put off until tomorrow that which you are prepared to die having not done-Pablo Picasso

Another option that you haven't mentioned but I don't know the cost differences but Mamiya 6 and 7 or 7II are 6x7 rangefinders.

I have the 7II and it's a pretty cool camera. For an estimate on cost check ebay or Lens and Repro or KEH.

Just another option that is fast, compact and lightweight.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Mamiya TLR webpage

Take a look at:

http://www.btinternet.com/~g.a.patte...aq-mamiya.html

I have both the Mamiya TLR (C220) with 6 of the 7 focal lengths they ever made - bargains are out there. I have a paramender, but have used it only occasionally. In a pinch, if afraid of parallex, just back up a bit and the neg is big enough to crop slightly and take care of the parallex.

I also have Kowa Sixes.

I have waist level and eye level finders for both.

It's all good, if it meets your needs. I know that doesn't answer the issue, but buying a camera is actually a pretty personal thing. Anyway, check Patterson's website for data on the TLR's

Good luck.

David

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    Another option that you haven't mentioned but I don't know the cost differences but Mamiya 6 and 7 or 7II are 6x7 rangefinders.

Michael
    I like my TLRs, but I would trade them for a Mamiya 6 or 7!!! However, there is quite a price differential ...

Maybe someday.

David

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for all those comments. I'm going to bid for a Mamiya C of some description. There are currently C330's, a C220 and a C3 on at the mo, along with several lenses.

Blanksy, I did consider a rangefinder but that would also mean a new enlarger as my Opemus 6 only goes up to 6x6. So i'm going to go the TLR route for now i think.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Quote Originally Posted by sparx
    Thanks for all those comments. I'm going to bid for a Mamiya C of some description. There are currently C330's, a C220 and a C3 on at the mo, along with several lenses.

Blanksy, I did consider a rangefinder but that would also mean a new enlarger as my Opemus 6 only goes up to 6x6. So i'm going to go the TLR route for now i think.
    I believe the Mamiya 6 is a 6x6 and the Mamiya 7 is 6x7

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I can recommend the Mamiya TLR 330 as I use one myself. Wonderful piece of kit. They are plentiful, and cheap, so take your time, there are plenty to pick from. One thing to keep in mind is that the 220 range do not have the coupled wind on and shutter cocking that the 330's have, and I think they have a winding knob instead of the folding crank of the 330. Good luck with the chase.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use the Mamiya TLR as my workhorse camera (either a C330 or a C220). I also have a Mamiya 6 at my disposal, which I like for travel. I think the M6 wil fail before the TLRs. Push comes to shove I can fix those myself.

As I get older ( 8-( ) I find the waist-level finder is better for my eyes. I hand-hold the TLR, but prefer a monopod or a tripod. No camera movement is better than some movement with a fast shutter speed.

Unless you like working inside arm's length, parallax should not be a real issue. And if you do want to work close, you can get close to 1:1 with the built-in bellows. You won't get any better than that, though.

Look for good condition C330, C330f, or C220. I would pass on the C220f and C330s. Although newer, I don't think they warrant the price premium. All of these do 120/220. Don't forget that these are all used cameras - actual wear and tear counts for more than chronological age. Quirks to look for: C330/C330f the short lens focusing scale uses a sliding window. This often sticks closed. Bellows light-tight? Film change baffle light-tight? Film transport working - test with a sacrificial film or roll of backing paper. You will need this to confirm the frame counter works. The focus rail should be smooth but firm. Check the interior for the usual state of the film guides.

The link mentioned previously has a lot of information. It keeps growing - I have some small detail updates to make at the end of this month.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David Brown
    I like my TLRs, but I would trade them for a Mamiya 6 or 7!!! However, there is quite a price differential ...

Maybe someday.

David
    Here here! I like my C220 and C3 but they would be gone in a flash for a Mamiya 6 rangefinder. In your case, I would buy a C33 with a couple of lens, a sheet film back and/or a paramender. The C220 is nice, but there isn't a removable back. I have the 65mm ( a nice lens), an 80mm, and a 180mm. All very very sharp. I occasionally bid on a prism finder, but so far, I just shoot looking down.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin