Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,588   Online: 1104

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: TLR or SLR?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first serious medium format camera was the C220 with 3 lenses. I still have it and use it occasionally though my wife uses it more. What I remember at the time was that, at a convention I went to annually, there was a group portrait concession at the hotel that used C330's handheld with a grip attachment and a flash mounted on the shoe the grip had. If you fold down the center of the front of the gg hood and sight through the little square hole in the back of the hood, you have the "sportfinder"....kinda like using a speed graphic with the metal tube framing square on top. The results were excellent enough for their business of selling portraits and the photographers using them worked incredibly fast. As a street camera, the Mamiyas can be made to work exceedingly well.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Sparks
    I have just had a further thought about Mamiya C330 cameras which may be of use to you. The focusing screens for the C330F are not interchangable with the C330s, and vice versa . The distance between Mamiya lenses is 50mm which is easy adjust on the centre column of a tripod. If you think about buying a wide angle lense I recommend you go for the 55mm rather than the 65mm which is a bit soft, and not worth buying if you have the 80mm standard lens, and with the bellows extended the 55mm gives you 1-1 for macro- photography.

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya C22 $100 on PhotoNet

I was just on PhotoNet checking their listings and came accross this...

http://www.photo.net/gc/view-one?cla...d_ad_id=617026

For $100 this camera is more than enough to get you started till you can afford something better.

I have a few RB67s comming home soon if you are interested in an SLR... e-mail me at Automax1@juno.com
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    At the Asbury Park get-together, I had a moment to handle Bob Fowler's Bronica SQ-A setup with prism and rapid wind handle, and I have to say, it's a great handling 6x6 SLR, particularly if you're used to 35mm. It's surprisingly light and the lenses focus smoothly. The rapid wind handle gives you a lever wind and shutter release on the right side like a 35mm camera. I watched Bob reload, and it does that remarkably quickly for a MF camera. It's very battery dependent, so that would be a downside if you like a mechanical camera, but at the prices these are going for right now, I think they are a great value.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Mamiya 645 is pretty reasonably priced. Look on KEH.com and be aware that their bargain grade equipment is pretty good.

Robert

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

TLR or SLR

I have a Mamiya 6 and TLR gear. The M6 is a great travel camera, with great glass, especially the 50mm wide. I worry about getting parts for the winder if it should break, as that seems to be its weakest link, but I try to be gentle with it and so far, so good. The TLRs can be had, as has been suggested, for dirt cheap and are all over that auction site (I found a great deal there on a C330, and it really is built like a tank). The WLF is great for portraits of the kids, I find - corny bathtime example attached.

Cheers, Graham
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bathtime.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Just a small point about Mamiya TLRs - if you're handholding, they are infinitely easier to work with if you have an L handle attached. I seem to have one still in my equipment cupboard (TLRs long gone - liked all the lenses except the 55 mm, which took a lot of stopping down to get sharp edges).
    Another point - somebody was talking about DOF preview. As I recall, there was a 105 mm lens for Mamiya with an iris diaphragm on the viewing lens to get over just this problem.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin