Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,708   Online: 700

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b
    First, thanks all of you for this info.

Second, I am looking for a landscape camera to use on a tripod. Rarely will it be handheld.
    My personal solution (on a tripod) is my 4x5 Shen Hao with Wista 6x9 rollfilm back. My favorite lenses for this combination are my 55mm Rodenstock Apo Grandagon and my 90mm Nikkor.

My current pocket camera solution is an English Ensign Carbine 7 6x9 folder with the rangefinder coupled Ross Xpres lens in Compur shutter. This beauty also has a rising front and front swings.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    David, not to quarrel or anything, but one of the people who posts occasionally on the www.graflex.org help board says he shoots a 35/4.5 ApoGrandagon on his 2x3 Crown (unless its a Century). I use a 38/4.5 Biogon on my Century; it doesn't cover 2x3. The shortest lens I know of that can be used on a 2x3 Speed (Mini or Pacemaker, much easier on a Pacemaker) is the 1.75"/2.8 Elcan, which might cover nominal 6x7, absolutely positively won't cover 2x3. I much prefer my 47/5.6 SA on the Century to my 44 Elcan on the Speed, mainly because the SA puts good image in the corners and the Elcan doesn't. The 2x3 Graphics (Century, Crown) don't require a w/a focusing device.

Point is, it is possible to shoot a little wide on a 2x3 Graphic. To which news you should reply that Linhofs are nicer than Graphics. And of course they are, also more expensive.

Thinking of expensive, Sunday before last I had the pleasure of looking through a 45/4.5 Biogon on a TK679. Rare lens, its owner tells me that only 100 or so were made. I hope that he and I will be able to arrange a shootout, 45 Biogon vs. 44 Elcan.

Regards,

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by P C Headland
    I think most of the options have been covered now.

I have a couple of 6x9 folders, a Franka and Moskva 5, plus a Century Graphic. The Moskva is probably the hardest to handhold, but on a tripod it is very sharp; for the $20 or so that it cost, I certainly can't complain. The only other thing to count against it is lack of filter thread - I still need to find which size slip-ons it might take. It is a leftie's camera too.
    I measured mine at 44.5mm. I haven't found a series adapter for it yet.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    It depends. It's often the case that it's easier to use wide lenses with a 4x5" camera and a 6x9cm back than with a 6x9 cm camera, because the bellows is larger and more flexible when compressed, and because there's more room for modern wide lenses with large rear cells without running into physical obstructions. A 4x5" Technika can use lenses as short as 55mm with the wideange focusing device, and as short as 35mm with helical focus mounts. The Tech 2000 can do that without any additional accessories.
    I did a forhead slap on reading this response! I read all these things about bag-bellows, see ads for WA lenses for 4x5 and it just didn't sink in.

Ah well--it must be easier for some 4x5 cameras in WA than for the speed graphic. With my 65mm lens, the bellows are really compressed. There is no room for any movements.

Matt

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Dan--I wasn't specifically comparing Graphics to Linhofs, which is why I said, "it depends." In general I think that the Crown handles wide lenses better than a Technika, and the 4x5" Technikas better than the 2x3" Technikas (which I think can only go as wide as 53mm). There's another thread going on about the Ebony 23S, which doesn't handle wide lenses as well as the 4x5" version, because of physical obstruction issues with the small bellows. So, it depends.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    The Inos II is also very similar -- the focusing mechanism is changed, IIRC, but the rest is essentially like a Bessa I without the rangefinder.
    Just a note: the Bessa I doesn't have a rangefinder. It's scale focus or external rangefinder only...the camera only has a viewfinder. The Bessa II added the rangefinder.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson

My current pocket camera solution is an English Ensign Carbine 7 6x9 folder with the rangefinder coupled Ross Xpres lens in Compur shutter. This beauty also has a rising front and front swings.
    Now, there you mention an interesting sounding camera that has escaped our 6x9 obsessed attention. I know the Carbines, but not model 7. CRF? Ross Xpress color-corrected or not? Can you show some pics?
    I did a Google but just nothing comes up - other than that it is rare.

Cheers,
    Norm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Carbine 7 is rare, unusual, and in my judgment this one consists entirely of the original equipment. There is only a small amount of brassing in one location (one of the film holders).

The Ross Xpres lens is not coated, but it is immaculate. In spite of its lack of coating I expect that it will prove to be well color corrected. I will be taking some color and B&W pictures and we will see.

The Compur shutter is rim set and operates correctly, even at the low speeds.

The coupled rangefinder is working properly.

I prefer the way this camera handles and operates in comparison to my Bessa II.

I will take a few pictures of the camera and post them.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    Now, there you mention an interesting sounding camera that has escaped our 6x9 obsessed attention...Norm
    I am not obsessed with folders!

Now, if you will forgive me, eBay is calling...something about an Ansco Speedex, I think.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tom, why do you believe that anti-reflection coating has anything to do with color correction, i.e., designing out chromatic aberrations? I've seen this idea pop up all over the place and it just baffles me.

The one time it sort of made sense was with reference to Boyer Saphir enlarging lenses, for which the claim has been made that a redesign that reduced chromatic aberration occured at the same time Boyer began coating lenses. But in this case coating is an indicator, not the cause.

Cheers,

Dan

You don't need a Speedex, you need a nice Selfix. Take two Selfix, go to bed, and you'll feel better in the morning. Take two Speedex, and you'll wake up with nasty regrets.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin