Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,682   Posts: 1,482,219   Online: 1041

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Tom, why do you believe that anti-reflection coating has anything to do with color correction, i.e., designing out chromatic aberrations?
    I don't - but as you indicate, it is a pervasive notion.

It may be that I have a Selfix personality...

I just missed one on eBay.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    The Carbine 7 is rare, unusual, and in my judgment this one consists entirely of the original equipment. There is only a small amount of brassing in one location (one of the film holders).

The Ross Xpres lens is not coated, but it is immaculate. In spite of its lack of coating I expect that it will prove to be well color corrected. I will be taking some color and B&W pictures and we will see.

The Compur shutter is rim set and operates correctly, even at the low speeds.

The coupled rangefinder is working properly.

I prefer the way this camera handles and operates in comparison to my Bessa II.

I will take a few pictures of the camera and post them.
    I just can't wait to see them! You're excused to use a digital camera for the mugs shots of the Carbine - if it gets them up here faster, I don't care....

Did you have to bleed a lot to buy it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am not obsessed with folders!

Now, if you will forgive me, eBay is calling...something about an Ansco Speedex, I think.
    perhaps we should start our own little 6x9 folder community? Or are we more speaking self(ix)-help programme?

We have cured ourselves from these by buying 6x9 SLR's instead - and now we're looking for a cure for those too! What d'ya think, is moving up to 4x5 view camera's gonna help?

BTW: everything allright with the Ansco?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    perhaps we should start our own little 6x9 folder community? Or are we more speaking self(ix)-help programme?

My wife believes that I am a hopeless addict and have been beyond help for years - on the other hand, I know I can give up 6x9s any time I want to!

We have cured ourselves from these by buying 6x9 SLR's instead - and now we're looking for a cure for those too! What d'ya think, is moving up to 4x5 view camera's gonna help?

It certainly could not hurt. In fact 5x7s and 8x10s are even better!

BTW: everything allright with the Ansco?
    Yes! My $29.00 opening bid got it!
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes! My $29.00 opening bid got it!
    Congratulations!

Of course 8x10 is better, but the hassle with sheet film is withholding us so far - good for us, eh?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't - but as you indicate, it is a pervasive notion.

It may be that I have a Selfix personality...

I just missed one on eBay.
    Although three of four doctors recommend Selfix, I'm not passionate about my 820. It does fit in a large pocket, unlike my little Graphics, which require an enormous one, but it doesn't shoot as well as they do or do as much. And, much to my astonishment, it has a short gate. 78 mm, IIRC.

Cheers,

Dan

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by medform-norm
    <re: 6x9 folders>

We have cured ourselves from these by buying 6x9 SLR's instead - and now we're looking for a cure for those too!
    Heh. Reminds me of the doctors of the early 20th century, heralding the wonderful new cure for morphine addiction: heroin.

Thanks, I'll stick with my folders. I've got three 6x9 now, a Moskva-5 (w/ 6x6 mask), a Wirgin Auta 6.3 (w/ 6x4.5 mask), and a Voigtlander Rollfilmkamera. Total investment to date for all three: about $120, plus a few hours work overhauling a shutter that was traded, with lens, for one of them. Then of course there are the 6x6 -- a Speedex 4.5 with persistent bellows leaks, and my second Speedex Jr. (the first suffered a broken door latch and seems to have failed to make the move from Seattle to here). And a 35 mm folder, as well, a pre-War Balda Jubilette (currently shelved pending me doing something useful to the film stop, which is currently not very reliable). Oh, and I guess I should count the three (two functional, one with very, very bad bellows) 9x12 cm plate cameras.

No, no heroin, thanks, I've had plenty of morphine already.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a Zeiss-Nettar (515/2) that I got cheap and repaired with help from a lot of people, Donald Qualls among those
    The bellows is the hardest part to get in good shpae in those

Gave it away to my father in law.

The lens (novar) was very decent, nice image quality and had that non-coated look that is so cool for portraits. I could only shoot 10 or 12 rolls with it.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I bought a belfoca 6X9 folder, and have had good results. The cost was $100. I cannot distinguish the quality from an Ebony 23S for scenes not needing movements. It requires estimating distances, and close attention to using the "siting device" for framing. It is very compact, and spaces shots on the film better than the Hassy 501 CM I also use.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin