Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,988   Posts: 1,524,052   Online: 962

Shooter
    Multi Format

"Play" in Hasselblad back

I just got an "excellent" rated A12 back from KEH. When attached to the camera it has maybe a millimeter of rotational play in the plane of the mating surface. The film plane does not change, but how much play is too much? My other back moves a lot less. It's enough to feel it but not really see it, if that makes sense. With the new back, however, you can clearly see the movement. As the back seems otherwise perfectly clean I'm hesitant to send it back, but I'm guessing I should.

Shooter
    35mm
    I am guessing you should return or exchange it also.

Shooter
    Multi Format

It happens...

Hello Claire. My ELM (purchased new) did this with all my backs when the camera wound on. The distributor told me this was normal.. I did not have any performance issues with this little "quirk".

Shooter
    35mm
    The 500c/m, 500c and 500EL did not exhibit it. Maybe the best advoce would be to contact Hasselblad via email.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Terence,
    I'm thinking some rotational play is to be considered normal in this situation. If the back functions properly & is light tight, it should be good. You may be getting involved in a quest for perfection that may prove fruitless.
    If you do follow through, Check the lip & groove that hold body & back in alignment. Your body should be OK since there's less play on the original back. The lip on the new back may be worn allowing the play, but since it's rotational, not fore & aft should have no effect on picture quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That was sort of my thinking, but since the other back (also purchased separately from the body) did not have the play I was a little concerned. Being an engineer I can sometimes get caught up in demanding high tolerances.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin