Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,916   Posts: 1,521,781   Online: 1068

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Joining the ranks

After my usual excessive amount of deliberation, consultation and faffing about I'm pleased to announce that I am now an M-F'er. (Many people say that I've been one for years, but they're just being mean...! )

I have today received through the post a Mamiya C330S with an 80mm f2.8 Sekor S lens. Condition appears good with merely a little paint missing, the flash mode switch araldited into the 'X' position (er, why?!?!?!?! Doesn't bother me, anyway.) and a little play in the aperture ring (which I can work around). Bellows appear light-tight, light seals look in good nick, the lenses are bright and unmarked and the shutter sounds okay.

It's on approval so it'll get a trial run on the way home and I'll have a darkroom session over the weekend (any excuse!) to assess it. (If it doesn't work I can always drive nails with it!)

Thanks to everyone who's provided advice and information during my (over-long, as usual!) run up to this purchase.

All the best,

Frank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Welcome to the fold Frank!
    Good thing your only starting now. If you had participated in the Canadian Staires/Gravity Testing with that baby, it would have been real trouble!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Frank, I debated the move to Medium Format for many months, then got a great deal on a new ETRsi, be warned, it might start the purchase of a lot more gear. I have never regretted the move.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome. One will not be enough....Plus there are all those additional lenses out there beckoning you :-)

The flash sync being araldited into the X position may be so as to protect the self-timer (someone please correct me if I'm wrong with the Mamiya). On some cameras, such as the Yashica TLRs, if you put the flash sync on M then tried to use the self timer, you rogered the shutter.

Paul

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes.. Apparently on the C330, it likes to slip out of the "X" position, goffing up the works... Many tape it or glue it in the "X" position...

And "P C" is correct, one will not be enough... I have owned and enjoyed my C330 for about 6 months and I am now testing out a Pentax 645....

Enjoy the big square negs.......!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Many thanks for your replies.

Rogue - If I'd had this at the time of the aforementioned Canadian incident, the cause would have been the stairs collapsing and I would have made it out through the cottage wall at the bottom of them! :o

First impressions - it looks, feels and handles like a black house brick... ...and I've got a lot of relearning to do!

The WLF will take a lot of getting used to; it varied between being a godsend and a PITA!
    Lateral reversal will also take a bit of aclimatisation. I ended up using a hotshoe spirit level on the side and the sportsfinder for some of the framing!
    One lens is not enough (but it'll have to do for now!). Using the Nikon and its lovely zooms I'd forgotten how to foot zoom (and nearly foot zoomed myself under a lorry...!).
    I really miss DOF preview.

but

Despite the weight and bulk, handling was actually rather nice! It really does slow you down, more than I thought, which again is nice.
    The negs have come out just fine with no signs of problems (other than a little margin fogging caused by my thumb-fingered removal of the roll).
    The lens is plenty sharp enough.
    Focusing is a piece of cake.

I like it!

I'll fit in a darkroom session this weekend and post a print of my first shot with The Brick as soon as I have it.

Thanks again,

Frank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wait until you see the difference that big negative makes to the graduation of tones - even in an 8x10. My Eos has been used twice since getting the SQA about 9 months ago; obviously it depends on the type of shot: as you noticed, the flipping of the viewfinder image can be a pain when trying to follow a moving target...

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Welcome to the MF fold Frank. The WLF, with it’s lateral image reversal, does take a little getting used to, but I think this is offset by the benefits of the change in view point that you can get. Either very low or high if inverted. You also have an eye-level sports finder fitted that may help, have you found it yet?. My 35mm EOS finally sold last week; I don’t miss it at all.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome to the dark slide...

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankB
    ... the flash mode switch araldited into the 'X' position (er, why?!?!?!?! Doesn't bother me, anyway.)
    The "M" setting was for use with "M" synchronization Flash Bulbs - remember those? The flash contacts would close 50 milliseconds before the shutter would open to give the flash bulb enough time to reach an appropriate brightness.

If there was an anomaly in the design of the shutter (sounds like that was the case, from the posts here), it would have been a wise move to lock the shutter in place at "X" synchronization (no delay - for "electronic discharge" flash systems - LOTS faster than fash bulbs) to protect the shutter works.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin