Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,711   Posts: 1,482,957   Online: 960

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli
    When the Olympus digital got to be as good as 35
    When did that happen? I have a fairly top of the range Olympus digital, but my OM series 35mm results blow it so far out of the water that I have pretty much stopped using it except for a few pictures where I really do need instant results. For anything else, it's just embarrasing. I was allowed a go on a Canon EOS 1Ds MkII a while ago and that was as good as the OM pictures, but I could buy a car for the price of one body and a few lenses.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love shooting with both my 35mm and 6x6. No preference one over the other. Other cameras I'd consider at this stage is a Rollei and a Leica. I love trying new equipment all the time. But in the end the subject and conditions determine the tools.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had a different experience, I have been using more MF and LF and less 35mm all the time. I have actually gotten rid of my Nikon N90s and replaced it with a Yashica rangefinder because I couldn't justfy keeping it. I would have preferred to keep it and I am sure that I will be back in the SLR game soon enough, but the money was better spent, for me, on LF amd MF gear.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am shooting more and more 35mm now that I have kids, surprise surprise. I also enjoy the look of grain. I also am in love with my new (used ) bronny rf645 which is rapidly becoming my favourite camera of all time. Way smaller than my Eos 3 with lens albeit a very differnet beast. They all have their place, but teh RF645 has really staked out the ground between 35mm and LF for me. I have had a 6x6slr, TLR (loved my 'Cord actually - now sold) but none truly felt 100 % right to me. The RF645 is the only thing other than a 35mm I would entertain the idea of stalking my kids with....an absolute steal used too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mongo
    I have nothing against horizontal composition, and in fact most of the artwork on my walls is horizontal...but for some reason I'm drawn to vertical compositions. Probably brain damage from my mis-spent youth.
    The "brain damage from a mis-spent" youth would certainly explain a few things in my case...

And I think we should celebrate the birth of "vertical panoramics" as a term and a concept, and if we all use it enough, you are ensured place in all future photography texts! Proud to be a part of this number!

And I would love to find out how to join the bottom feeder ranks of LF users! Whenever youhave the time to spare, I would be very grateful for any pointers! (I stop here before I breach the context of this sub-forum).

And by the way, are there any 35mm cameras that operate in the vertical? I know of one I saw that used non-perf film and was a beautiful wooden thing with brass fittings, lovingly restored by a local photographer - but I was thinking of something more practical for every day use. Maybe I should make one...stop it, crazy thoughts...shhh, they can hear us...What? Me? I didn't say anything...

OK, no more non MF related stuff out of me!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by gnashings
    by the way, are there any 35mm cameras that operate in the vertical?
    Er, all of them: you just turn them on their sides, or have I misunderstood?

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, I expressed myself with insufficient clarity:

I meant to say is: are there any 35 mm cameras, other than the afore mentioned antique, for which the vertical orientation is the standard, rather than the somewhat awkward alternative.

Its all lost in my earlier ramblings... I am having a scattered brain-day...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=gnashi
    And by the way, are there any 35mm cameras that operate in the vertical?[/QUOTE]

The Olympus Pen F, FT and FV were all half frame cameras that operated in the vertical. They were/are excellent shooters, well built, very pretty, and with modern films you can easily enlarge half frame negatives up to 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Likewise, I only know for sure of half frame cameras. Not that long ago, though, Rollei used to make a medium format look alike 35mm SLR with interchangeable backs. Did that run the film vertically? I never used one.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In MF, the Fuji GA645 series of cameras are vertical shooters. That's one of the things that drew me to the GA645Pro.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin