Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,670   Posts: 1,481,772   Online: 1033

Thread: CDS Porrofinder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

CDS Porrofinder

Hi all Just curious to know if any of you have the CDS Porrofinder for your C330f? Like it? Hate it? Like another prism better? Oh, and does anyone happen to know what type of batteries the CDS takes?

Thanks in advance and be well!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Older versions use 625 mercury batteries, later ones used type 76 silver oxide. These meters can be a bit of a gamble - some work fine, others...

The image is smaller and darker than a prism (it is all mirrors), but lighter. Personally I prefer the waist-level finfer or a chimney finder.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Typos, typos!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey, typos are just evidence of process - revel in them

I like the waist level finder better too but sometimes it's a wee bit hard to see what's going on when the composition demands that the camera be higher than my short stature can tolerate.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I turn the camera on it's side (on a monopod or tripod usually) to get extra height with the waist level finder.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just in case you were looking for a porrofinder to have a convenient built-in lightmeter (that is: what I was looking for few years ago, when I just got into med format from 35mm), please note that an extremely good unit as a Lunasix3 (just to name one) is waaaay cheaper...
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I rarely use mine as the waist level finder usually suffices. The porrofinder is quite dark in comparison and the light meter, although accurate, is not too convenient. I use a spot meter most always.

On the positive side, the porrofinder is excellent for close-up work in conjunction with a paramender for parallax correction. I would get the paramender and forget the porrofinder.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recommend you check out the prism finder,before you buy the porofinder( which is as dull as dishwater ) it's heavier but gives a much brighter screen image, it has no meter, but a decent quality Gossen Lunasix( I think they are called Lunapro in the U.S.A ) second hand would be a good buy, and exposure for closeups are easy to calculate on it to allow for the bellows extension.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's good to know, Bentley, thanks! I just want to be able to see what's going on without having to contort myself or my camera into some odd angle. As for the meter in the finder, it was just gravy... I use a L-558 for exposure.

don't even think about it. I would get the chimney finder (nice magnifier) and a really good spot meter/incident meter. You can do a lot more with that then an old reflective meter which is fooled by the light in classical ways.

Just my two cents from another C330F (and S) shooter.
    --Jeffrey

www.jsteinbergphoto.com (my avocation)
    www.reversis.com (my vocation)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin