Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,563   Posts: 1,545,299   Online: 784

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a C330. I have also experience periodic problems that sound similar to what you have described.

The only thing I can suggest is to really be observant about the top receiving spool and how it's seated with the winding knob. It must be seated perfectly. I'm not sure about having play in the back either. I doubt that I've experienced that.

In a completely mechanical camera like this, it's difficult when things are sporadic.
    Good luck.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The back does 'bounce' against the latch springs and the light trap foam. As long as the top right corner of the back is down, it should be fine. It is beginning to sound like the film advance mechanism is not latching. This is probably dirt or a misplaced spring.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I sat down last night and went through the whole shooting procedure from start to finish but with no film loaded (I didn't have any around I was willing to sacrifice) and it worked perfectly a dozen times in a row.
    Might simply be a process of me learning the quirks of an older, fully mechanical camera in order to avoid the problem.

Tammy: I'm glad I'm not alone I will take careful note of how I place the top spool next session. I am going out shooting with it this Sunday so will know more after that.

Thanks to all of you for your help. It would have been a far more difficult troubleshooting process without your insight.

Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If the mechanism works OK without film, there might be a problem when film is installed due to the very slight increase in thickness. The back area where the little frame counting tang is depressed when the back is closed may have become worn just sufficiently to allow a problem (???)

Did I not read where you ran a whole roll of film through accidentally? Why not use this as you “dummy” roll and do some experimenting. Actually b&w roll film is so cheap, I would advise you purchase one (or two) just for learning. You could also use the film to learn tank loading if you are thinking of home processing.
    I love the smell of fixer in the morning. It smells like...creativity!
    Truly, dr bob.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by dr bob
    If the mechanism works OK without film, there might be a problem when film is installed due to the very slight increase in thickness. The back area where the little frame counting tang is depressed when the back is closed may have become worn just sufficiently to allow a problem (???)
    Absolutely a possibility and a fairly likely scenario considering the evidence. When I examined the little tang you mentioned, it did look 'fairly' worn but, of course, I don't have any other one handy to compare it to :/

Quote Originally Posted by dr bob
    Did I not read where you ran a whole roll of film through accidentally? Why not use this as you “dummy” roll and do some experimenting. Actually b&w roll film is so cheap, I would advise you purchase one (or two) just for learning. You could also use the film to learn tank loading if you are thinking of home processing.
    Yes you did read that Unfortunately those rolls became the subject of a misunderstanding between my wife and myself which resulted in them going out with the rubbish.
    I'm trying to fit troubleshooting this camera in around my day job which is proving irksome. I will definitely pick up some more cheap B&W to test with.
    Telling my wife that I'm buying *more* "stuff" to develop at home may well result in another one of those 'misunderstandings'

Thanks,

Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Update: I just got two rolls of Provia back from the lab and am extremely happy with the results despite the boring subject matter (mainly carparks at work ) and the embarassingly small number of actual images on one roll (<cough>three<cough>). There's definitely nothing wrong with the actual image taking part of the camera's operation which is nice to know. I also picked up some more cheap B&W to re-test the film winder.

Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Winder problem

Hello Ben,

I think the reason for your problems with C330f and film transport can be a faulty chin release button... the Mamiya people introduced a "skip-stop" system allowing to use 6 exposure rolls (there were some, maybe some early colur film). You press the chin release button, and turn the handle - and the whole roll goes through without stops! The only way to have this effect is to use a sticking release cable that blocks something in chin release system, or just to press the release button during winding. This is a well-know weak point of all Mamiya TLRs (including mine, of course)

Cheers,
    Zhenya

Quote Originally Posted by unharmed
    There's definitely nothing wrong with the actual image taking part of the camera's operation which is nice to know. I also picked up some more cheap B&W to re-test the film winder.
    Ben

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I had exactly the same problem with my C330. It's now in for a CLA. I'll let you know if that made any difference. By the way, what's a chin release button?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The C330/f/s models have two shutter releases. One on the right side of the lens board frame, and the other on the front bottom of the camera. This part sticks forward of the lens board to accomodate the focus gears, and looks like a protruding chin with the camera in profile.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes, the chin release button is a button on the lower side, where you can attach the release cable. The levers connecting it to the whole mechanism are designed not-too-well, so it's possible to bend them (when someone presses hard on the button while it's locked by camera or the shutter was not loaded). That causes the problem, and usually it's easy to find and fix. And the sticky release cable causes the same even on healthy bodies of C330, otherwise perfect machines.

Good luck,
    Zhenya

Quote Originally Posted by thebanana
    I had exactly the same problem with my C330. It's now in for a CLA. I'll let you know if that made any difference. By the way, what's a chin release button?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin