Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,075   Online: 930

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya C330f Question....

Hey Guys,
    Finally got a chance to play with the C330 I picked up recently and have a question about winding the film on. I'm starting to suspect I may have a problem with the winding mechanism but need to clarify exactly how it's *supposed* to work.

When I load a film, close the back and wind it on then the crank stops with the frame indicator on "1" as per the manual. However, after releasing the shutter and then winding again, the lever doesn't 'lock' and the frame dial doesn't advance even though the film is definitely rolling through the body (I wasted a roll of Provia checking this ).

So...do I have a problem or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There is a little dial on the right (if you're holding the camera with it's back to you & lens forward) where you can specify single or multi exposure. Is yours set on single?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, Digi.

Yes I've checked that. The first time the crank failed to lock was mid-roll and I *think* I may have bumped the single/multi dial that time but I've subsequently tested it again and verified it was set to 'single' with the same problem. On the re-test, the crank locked on the first frame but not subsequently at all.

Thanks again,

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Digidurst
    There is a little dial on the right (if you're holding the camera with it's back to you & lens forward) where you can specify single or multi exposure. Is yours set on single?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Do you have a cable release attached, or could you be pressing the chin release at all? The camera has an odd 'feature' where the film can be wound off early by holding down the shutter and winding.

My best guess is that the film counter mechanism is slipping. Since it gets to frame 1 and stops, the frame reset catch (inside the light trap at the open end of the back) seems to be operating. The film advance works using the sprung toothed wheel in the film takeup chamber. It is essential that the camera back is fully closed for this to work. You should use your thumbs on both corners of the back to secure tha latches. If that doesn't fix it (and assuming your film is being wound up), there may be a fault.

The Single/Multi control only affects the double exposure prevention mechanism that stops the shutter button being pressed twice or more per frame. You have to manually re-cock the shutter. It does not affect the film transport. This is different from manual 35mm practice.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, grahamp.

That's a good point about accidentally holding down a shutter release - I don't *think* I was but I was concentrating more on winding the crank etc. This is my first camera of this type so I certainly wouldn't rule it out.
    It's dark here now but I'll have another shot tomorrow. I certainly hope it's just me being ham-fisted.

Thank you both for your help,

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by grahamp
    Do you have a cable release attached, or could you be pressing the chin release at all? The camera has an odd 'feature' where the film can be wound off early by holding down the shutter and winding.

My best guess is that the film counter mechanism is slipping. Since it gets to frame 1 and stops, the frame reset catch (inside the light trap at the open end of the back) seems to be operating. The film advance works using the sprung toothed wheel in the film takeup chamber. It is essential that the camera back is fully closed for this to work. You should use your thumbs on both corners of the back to secure tha latches. If that doesn't fix it (and assuming your film is being wound up), there may be a fault.

The Single/Multi control only affects the double exposure prevention mechanism that stops the shutter button being pressed twice or more per frame. You have to manually re-cock the shutter. It does not affect the film transport. This is different from manual 35mm practice.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well now I'm even more confused

I just ran a roll of Provia and a roll of T-Max through the camera and the results were....well....inconclusive. I was particularly careful with the operation of the camera and made sure I wasn't accidentally holding/depressing either of the shutter-releases apart from actually taking the shot.
    The T-Max seemed to go through perfectly. I lost count of the shots I had taken *smacks self in forehead* but I'm pretty sure I got to the end of the roll with the crank locking after every shot correctly.
    The Provia, however, started to skip (ie. not lock the crank after winding on) after the 4th frame. I continued shooting and winding on by just moving the crank to the correct position until about frame 10 when it started locking again!
    Is there an easier way to test this operation other than running film through it? Could I run an already spoiled roll through the camera backwards to confirm it or should I just take it back and be done with it?

Thanks in advance,

Ben

Shooter
    35mm
    Your camera may need to be CLA, for when they have been sitting around
    for a long while the lubrications can gunk up and cause the levers inside not to
    function properly, causing the skipping you mentioned with the film. I have seen
    this problem many times and after I CLA them the problem is solved.
    You can email me if you would like any further information!

Carol
    flutotscamera@earthlink.net

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks very much, Carol.

I suspect you may have a point. The dealer I got it from was selling it on consignment so it's very likely they did zero work on the camera beforehand :-/

I am going to take it back this weekend and see what they will do.

Thank you all for your help

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Flutot
    Your camera may need to be CLA, for when they have been sitting around
    for a long while the lubrications can gunk up and cause the levers inside not to
    function properly, causing the skipping you mentioned with the film. I have seen
    this problem many times and after I CLA them the problem is solved.
    You can email me if you would like any further information!

Carol
    flutotscamera@earthlink.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can rewind a sacrificial film, or just use some backing paper.

I think it is a poorly latched back, but the gearing may be slipping internally.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey grahamp,

I made sure to latch the back as firmly as I could with thumbs on both corners. There was still some play in it once closed though. Should there be any or should it be absolutely solid?

Thanks,

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by grahamp
    You can rewind a sacrificial film, or just use some backing paper.

I think it is a poorly latched back, but the gearing may be slipping internally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin