Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,482   Posts: 1,571,165   Online: 1258

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 612 project

Shooter
    4x5 Format

612 project

Hi folks, I am almost finished with a 612 project using an old Kodak autographic. I have sorted the mask for the film plane and converted it to take 120 film, the lens is proving to be a problem. I have a 90 schnieder from my LF that I planned to use as I use it less and less in that format, but it is too long, it wont fit into the body when folded. I have thought of getting an old MF folder such as Agfa Isolette etc and seeing if I can remove the lense to make fit, thought you guys might have a suggestion or two with this before I commit to canabalising an old camera!! depth of body is 40/45cm.
    Gari

Shooter
    Multi Format
    depth of body is 40/45cm.
    Wouldn't that be in millimeters?

G

Shooter
    4x5 Format

hard of thinking.

er..yeah, sorry!!
    Gari

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Even if you get a lens off a 6x9 I doubt it'll give you good corners on 6x12.

If you want a small lens the shortish Xenars aren't very big. Not sure if it would fit your needs.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Which Schneider 90 did you try, the Angulon or Super-Angulon? The 90/6.8 Angulon is pretty compact. If you can't make it work, I'm not sure there is anything much smaller than that in a 90mm lens that covers 6x12. The larger Super-Angulon would definitely be too big.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gari
    Hi folks, I am almost finished with a 612 project using an old Kodak autographic.
    Hi Gari, this is interesting - can you give me a quick rundown of what you're doing? What kind of autographic are you using, a 3A?

Nathan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Gari,

nice project! We're working on converting an old Graflex 1A in a similar manner. Not finished either, but getting there slowly.

Have you considered using a 5" Ross Xpres? They can be great lenses and are quite shallow as well. The normal 5" measures a little over 3 cm and the 5" wide-angle (not from the Air Ministry but a civilian one) measures 4.1 cm, so maybe one of these should fit. The Air Ministry Ross lens can be gotten cheap, is slightly more shallow, but it has limited f-stops.

Both our 5" normal Ross and 5" wide angle should easily cover the 612 format without vignetting. They're relatively fast lenses as well: 4.5 (and sometimes available even faster, if I remember well, but way more expensive).

What did we pay for each? Well, the 5" Ross came with the Graflex for £70 and the 5" wide angle Xpres + epsilon shutter (both in good condition) set us back £35 (excluding S+H). For us that falls in the category 'reasonably cheap'.

Personally, we prefer a Ross Xpres over an older Angulon any time for it's special character, somewhat Heliar-like in plasticity. (Agree with that, mr. David -my middle name is Heliar - Goldfarb?)

Hope this helps,
    Norm

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Haven't tried a Ross Xpres myself, but post some sample shots. I'm curious.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Haven't tried a Ross Xpres myself, but post some sample shots. I'm curious.
    I will, when we have time for proper scanning! We're working very hard right now on a non-photographic project at the moment - so only time for posts, not for photoworks.

Did you try Googling Ross Xpres? There are some great samples on the Japanese folder sites like cosmonet - but I don't know if the Heliar-like quality shines through sufficiently...

There are more Ross lovers on this forum, maybe they have stuff ready to post?

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know of any lens from a 6x6 that will come close to covering 6x12. Very few 6x9 lenses will; most cameras with a fixed lens had a lens that was the least expensive that would cover the format with the requisite image quality. The original lens from that camera was probably a 135 mm, likely a Rapid Rectilinear if f/7.7 or slower, possibly a triplet or Tessar type in later models. The lenses from 9x12 plate cameras are excellent candidates for this; the Tessar types should cover 6x12 nicely (they'll just cover 4x5) and as long as it's unit focusing you're all good (the scale will likely even match). None of my four plate camera lenses (two Tessars, a Skopar, and a Radionar, all 13.5 cm f/4.5) is as much as 40 mm deep; all are made to fold into cameras that are only about 40 mm thick when folded.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin