Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,753   Online: 933

Shooter
    Multi Format

IR Darkslide filter

Just a thought
    Is it possible to use/make an IR-filter that fits in the darkslide on the filmback.
    Ofcource it needs to be fitted in a way that prevent lightleaks.
    Can it be made thin enough ? perhaps not
    How about scratches and dust ? Could be a problem.
    Is it a problem that it is so close to the filmplane ?
    I have heard about fitting some kind of IR-filterfoil just behind the shutter in a 35mm SLR so I just thought.......
    Regards Søren

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What an idea! I don't think it would be great for LF, it would scratch too easily, but on a Bronica or Hasselblad it would make for good shooting with the Maco films. I'd probably try to get the polyester filter, harder to scratch than the gelatin. Biggest concern is how rough the light seal would be on the filter as it is inserted into the slot and whether there would be any light piping through the edge of the filter.
    Gary Beasley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I though of a dedicated IR-back. But how to fool the camera to allow the back to be removed when the shutter can operate (the pin in the real darkslide problem) ?
    Regards Søren

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you could modify a 'real' dark slide to hold an IR filter medium and defeat the mechanism that tells the Hassey a dark slide is in. I'll have to investigate this a bit, but this is a brilliant idea.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On a Hassy magazine, I'd think it would be possible to simply tape a cut-down 100mm IR filter over the film gate. The darkslide would still slip in behind the filter, and function normally.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice. I don't think that's possible on the Bronica but then again I havn't tried.
    Regards Søren

Images
    Look here for how to dedicate a back to IR

http://www.davidromano.com/Film2.html
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren
    Nice. I don't think that's possible on the Bronica but then again I havn't tried.
    Regards Søren
    Inside the shell, when you pull the insert out, there is just barely enough room to tape a filter in place between the felt on my 120J back. The same can be done with the square format shells but the room for taping is a bit dicier. Only drawback I can see is the filter needs a tight fit against the insides of the film rails to keep white light from leaking around. I don't see a good way to get it under the edge of the rails. As far as taping it to the outside of the back I see the fit is very snug, hard to tell if it will interfere with the operation any. I'd try a very thin polyester filter there with no tape. It will not slip there and I think the extra thickness of the tape may pose a problem though I could be wrong on that point.
    Gary Beasley

People add a Lee polyester ( similar to a gel, but tougher) between the film rails of 35mm slr cameras all the time. I would cover the darkslide slot with Mylar slide binding tape.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin