Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,688   Posts: 1,548,730   Online: 1250

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Murray,
    Patience is the key. The home made collimater will work but so does the ground glass. Your primary aim is for infinity & all else will fall into place.
    If you get frustrated enough let me know & you can send it to me & I'll set it up for you. One of my earlier incarnations was as a camera technician. If you need a rec talk to Joeyk49. All it'll cost is shipping & a donation to APUG. $$ is up to you.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never used a collimator, only a piece of stiff plastic with frosted tape on the lens side. It's cut to the dimension of a 6x9 negative, plus a little on the length, so I can be sure it will sit in the proper place (and BTW, the film and paper are so close to the same width, a stepped plane can't be for film in the lower and paper in the upper; rather, it's to keep the pressure plate from making scratches in the film by insuring a fixed amount of space). I use a loupe (or the back element from a triplet) to examine the image and establish critical focus on an object *at least* a quarter mile away, preferably a mile or more.

The cameras I've reset this way have produced some of the best images I have (including my Wirgin Auta, Kodak Reflex II, and Argoflex EF).

The ring vs. lens barrel varies from camera to camera. My Wirgin has four starts, and only ONE of them will allow setting the focus correctly and mounting the name and focus scale correctly as well. What I found worked well with this camera was to set the focus, test the fit of the rings, and if it wasn't right, back the front element off carefully, while pushing it *on*, until it "clicked", then screwing it back in, and going again. This allowed me to proceed sequentially around each of the four starts until I found the one that allowed the correct scale and name ring installation with the focus correct.

Other cameras are easier on this; the Reflex II and Argoflex both have "infinitely adjustable" settings, so it doesn't matter which start you get the lens on when reassembling.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    :O)

Limitations? I haven't choked on any of the parts yet, and this is a better habit than heroin, so I'll keep going.

Is Claire's location really Nilwaukee (tongue-in-cheek spelling), or is that a typo (sorry, I used to work for a newspaper)?
    Murray

Shooter
    Pinhole
    OK, I read the rest of the posts. Good info and humor. I will go at it again more methodically, and look for how many thread starts there are.

There were no clouds yesterday, as that is what I hoped to focus on. Instead I just compared to separate rangefinder since I was trying to get from 'rediculously far off' to 'close'.

Thanks

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Murray,
    You don't need clouds in the distance to set focus. They don't stand still long enough & don't have sharp edges. Youu should have a target 500-1000 times the focal length of he lens. I typically use a tree top about a block away as a target although a building with brick work or decoration would work well also. Any fine detail is good.

Shooter
    35mm
    Nilwaukee is a state of mind located within the confines of Milwaukee. I am finding myself having to do more and more with less and less. This would be more tolerable had I not started with so little in both resources and talent. As soon as I figure out how to create matter I am going to have on hell of a good day down at the patent office. Do not look for this to happen anytime soon.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    :O)

USPTO and freepatentsonline are my friends, well, aquaintenances, anyway.
    Murray

Shooter
    Pinhole
    500-1000 x f.l., ok... I have too many trees obstructing my view but I have tried to do this...best I can do. The fraction of a mile seemed too far away, but I have no idea how far my targets really are...I'll just make do with the furthest thing that isn't moving....

Murray
    Murray

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin