Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,583   Online: 1160

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't generally set out when taking the picture with the intention of cropping, but I have often found that after printing taking a hair off the picture in one dimension helps immensely. Not enough to get a 4x5 ratio, but just enough to disturb the perfect symmetry.

I shoot 6x6 almost exclusively and have never printed a square print.

If God had wanted us to print square he would have only given us one eye and only made square easels.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you like the 24x24 mm format you should look into the Robot Royal 36S or other Robot cameras. Pricey but nice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I never really bought into the idea of the purity of the format or those people who would file out the neg carrier to show they used the full frame of the neg.

For one thing there are times when you cannot exclude everything from the frame due to your position or available lens. In this case you are basically composing the shot with the knowledge that cropping will be required.

Another situation I find is that with 35mm I do not seem to have the ability to compose the same way as with a LF camera and darkcloth. I sometimes find I include extrannoeus information in the neg on smaller formats, but always catch these instances with 4x5 and larger while composing.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like the squares.. When I shoot 6x6, I have to be more aware of the composition, which, in my opinion, makes for a better shot... For me.... I have never printed a rectangle from a square neg.. I would if I felt I needed to though.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ara Ghajanian
    Gerald,
    That is a good question: why did they create a 6x6 negative?
    Ara

Likely to save film. You get four more shots 6x6 versus 6x9.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I always shoot within the frame. On a very rare case that would I crop; even then I know ahead of time that I am going to crop in the frame and compose accordingly. Shooting square frame for me was a novelty and difficult at the same time. I've really grown to like the square frame and have never cropped one pic from a square frame yet.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It is very seldom that I print a "full frame" negative. Each image demands a different cropping, no matter the format.....

However, specially with toy cameras printing sqaure makes sense in order to have the vignetting in the corners or the swirling effect the lenses give.

Quote Originally Posted by Ara Ghajanian
    Simple question: How many of you crop the square negative and why or why not?
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ride the fence on this one. Some wedding jobs get printed to 10X10, some to 8X10. Most of my portrait work in 6X6 gets cropped to "standard" print sizes. When I'm shooting for myself, I usually shoot for, and print, the full frame.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blansky
    I shoot 6x6 almost exclusively and have never printed a square print.

If God had wanted us to print square he would have only given us one eye and only made square easels.

Michael
    Hmm.... Shouldn't we be shooting in an elliptical format then? Last time I checked two eyes had a more or less elliptical field of view...

I always print square. Personally I just really enjoy composing full frame with a square waist level finder and my work just shines so much more because of it; the square shape, in my opinion, lends a much more poetic feel to a photograph.

Of course others have their own opinions and preferences. To each his (or her!) own...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin