Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,943   Posts: 1,557,628   Online: 1180

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Pentax 645 issue.....

My new Pentax 645 has got an issue.. I throw film in, it makes a screeching buzz for about 20 seconds, then stops... It won't shoot. I turn of, turn on, does the same thing. I open it up, the film has never advanced....

When I was able to shoot a roll or two in it, the winder made smaller wimpers of that screeching noise during advance... Is the winder just hosed?? If so, is it a common issue with these beasts?? Does anyone think it is repairable? Will it be worth it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like the winder gear has gone bad and striped out, the 645 model is a great camera and I am sure it would be worth the repair, the company I have used for all of my repairs over the last few years has been Kelly Camera in AZ, you might take a look at their webpage and drop them a note www.kellycamera.com

the reason I like them is they have the ability to make parts in house for stuff that is not available anylonger.

Good luck.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When you say the film hasn't advanced do you mean not at all? Has the film come off the take up spool?

Pentax last I checked still repaired the cameras. Last year Pentax Canada quoted me about $200 Cdn for a CLA. That's about $160US. Unless Pentax US is much cheaper I doubt a fix will make sense. Maybe you can find a local repair shop willing to give you an estimate.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Sounds like the winder gear has gone bad and striped out,
    Yeah, thats what I was afraid of..... Maybe I can buy a parts camera... Depending on cost.... The sad thing is, I may have been the reason it stripped....

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    When you say the film hasn't advanced do you mean not at all? Has the film come off the take up spool?
    Not at all... It looks just the way it did when I loaded it... "Start arrow" in the exact same place..

I am bringing it to a shop today.. This old guy is pretty familiar with the camera. If too much, may just buy another body and keep mine for parts or.... I don't know. We'll see....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Your going to normally find the camera manufacture as a rule is more expensive than the independants, although for a camera I used alot, I don't find $160 to be unreasonable as they would also check all the other systems of the camera and offer a warrantee once it is complete, I had one of my Minolta 9xi repaired here about 5 months ago, through Kelly and this is after Minolta told me it was basically junk and to discard it, the repair was only $100 and they gave me a 1 year warrantee on the camera with it.

I guess it comes down to value vs cost vs how much you like the camera.

Dave

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like the camera and I need a MF SLR... If I am going to spend $160 I may spend that towards another body so I can have something now... Maybe fix the other later for a back up.... We shall see....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The problem isn't how expensive the repair is. It's how cheap the alternatives are. Right now KEH has a couple of excellent 645s for sale at $300. That includes a 120 insert. I don't know how big Bighead's lens collection is but if it's just the 75mm then he might even consider one of the other camera types.

My 645 is acting up. I know sooner or later I'll likely get it fixed. But I decided to put the money towards a Bronica ETRSI kit instead for now. I gain some things then Pentax didn't have. I lose metering unless I find a cheap metering prism. Still over all it seemed the right choice for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Touch wood, I have not had this trouble with the 645..except when I tried to use some Classicpan film with its rather tough filmbase. Advancing the film by hand just a bit beyond the start arrow solved the problem.

Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Maybe it just needs a CLA, and maybe I will start doing that. I am pretty versed on how much paper there is before film begins... I will start advancing it a bit further.... Lets hope.. Everyone, think good thoughts... I haven't even paid for this thing yet.. Even though I got a good deal..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This just in..... The repairman says that it needs all new seals and the bearings are needing lube if not replacing... More serious, the 6 electro magnets are in need of servicing? He suggested I let him send it to Pentax and have them service. He said if it was his, he'd CLA it and it would probably take care of it for awhile, but he didn't want to do that with a customer's camera... He couldn't guarantee his work if he did.......

He said, "quite honestly, you have great equipment, all of which will need servicing and I don't want to lose your business because 4 months down the road, it has problems again"........

So, I gave him the okay... He said it could end up being $200 - $225 for Pentax to service but that would entail them being able to hook it up to their computers to diagnose, something he can't do.. It will also have a good guarantee.......

If its much more, I may shop around for a parts body or just another good body.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin