Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,936   Posts: 1,585,628   Online: 759

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    I suppose my first mf camera would be an old Kodak folder. Took 620 (or 820?) film and had the door in the back with a stylus. A great camera to use and still have it.

Then around 1970 or so, I was making plans to "go pro"... That added a Mamiya C330 to the kit. Can't say enough good about that camera. Still have it, still use it. Just put a half dozen rolls through it this past weekend.

But all these small formats don't get used like they used to... So when do we do "the first LF camera"??

Shooter
    35mm
    In 1962 I got a Rolleiflex 3.5F with Xenotar. Brand new I bought it for $225.00

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Lubitel 166U (don't laugh!)... Sold for two beers in a local bar, replaced by a Zeiss Ikon folder. What a step up!
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Czech-made Flexaret V TLR. What an eye-opener the first print was! And the negative seemed huge!

Denis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Voigtlander Brilliant. Just because I wanted to try.

G

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rolleiflex 3.5 Loved the format, loved the change of pace (I had an OM-1 with a motor drive), loved the fact that the image was upside down. And I loved the way the negatives got printed almost effortless.
    Photos are made four inches behind the camera

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    1971 or 72 (honestly don't remember) I paid $250 for a Mamiya C220 and two lenses (a fortune for me at the time). I still have it.

The purpose was to shoot weddings, which I did all through my remaining college days. I had 35mm, but "at the time", professionals did not shoot weddings with 35mm (at least where I was.)

This does not count the 620 and 127 box cameras of my youth in the 50s and 60s.

Cheers

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also started with a Yashica 124G. Wonderful camera. It really changed my photography in a wonderful way as I started being much more thoughtful about my shooting. I sold it to help pay for a Mamiya 645, which I still have and love. I did regret selling the 124G, however, and recently purchased another from an APUGer who gave me too good a deal to pass up. I am not using it a bunch and extremely happy to be back in the fold.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bronica S2A. Still going strong, and still one of my favorite cameras. There's something magic about the old Bronica (or at least about my experiences with it)...every time I pick up the S2A it feels like an old friend.

Plus, it's the dream camera for lens hacking. Three separate lens mounts and a focal plane shutter; it's almost as if it was designed for my fascination with lenses.

I've noticed that the prices on these have headed north a bit lately, when most MF gear is headed south. I have no idea why, but it's satisfying to know that people still appreciate them.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a Mamiya RB-67 ProS back when I was in college in 1990. The main reason I bought it was to upstage all the 35mm users in my photo classes. I was printing super sharp 16x20 prints and those dummies couldn't figure out why there was no grain. I have since traded the RB for a Hasselblad 500CM. The funny thing is that I shoot mostly 35mm now for the grainy high contrast look and the Hasselblad is collecting dust. Hmm, who's the dummy now?
    Ara
    Just because you're not paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin