Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,880   Online: 1025

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
    North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm.

First medium format camera I used was also the first camera of any kind I used -- a Kodak Duaflex (probably IV, fixed everything except two apertures, marked B&W and Color).

First medium format camera I owned was a Brownie Hawkeye, which I bought at a yard sale for (IIRC) 25 cents in about 1970.

The first *adjustable* medium format I owned was a Kodak Reflex II TLR, for which I traded an Exa II SLR with a second curtain that didn't quite close, around 1975.

All were 6x6 on 620.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    A KONI-OMEGA M with the 90 and 180 lenses, in 1970. A local wedding guy upgraded to a 'blad, and I got his old equipment for about $200. In a bid of insanity, I traded it off about a decade later for a Pentax 67. I like the P67 (still have it), but that Koni-Omega was a real good camera.
    —Eric

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A plastic Brownie, in 1951 or so. Shot 120 film. One shutter speed. Didn't work badly with Verichrome Pan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yashica 635. It had been a yardsale purchase by an uncle, and forgotten in a closet. I soon discovered why, as it had been home-repaired somewhere in its career, so there was oil in the shutter. Every month or so I'd have to unscrew the taking lens elements, and wipe down the blades with isopropanol so that it would fire reliably. Kept it for about five years, and shot rather frequently with it, until I traded it in when upgrading my 35mm. (Spotmatic which had needed shutter work twice in four months to Nikon F)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brand new yellow Hasselblad 503CW from B&H. I'd always wanted one since I was a kid and couldn't resist the special they had for buying a package. I carry that camera everywhere now. I just love it.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hasselblad 500 C/M. I love it. I no longer shoot much 35mm.

PRB

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The day I began my first newspaper job (reporter) in 1968, they handed me a Minolta Autocord TLR and a flash. The flash had a rechargable battery pack about the size of a kid's lunch box. They taught me the Sunny F16 rule and gave me the aperture/exposure setting for using the flash. Shazam, I was a newspaper photographer! This story drives photojournalism students nuts.

Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My first MF was a Yashica Mat EM. I got it at a garage sale when I was 13. I used it all through high school, shooting for the yearbook and school newspaper. I loved that camera. Unfortunately she got ripped off a few years later. About 4 years ago, wishing I still had one, I got another one through eBay. This is just as nice as the one I had before and it is loads of fun to shoot with. It lives on a steady diet of Verichrome Pan and the occasional roll of APX 25. When my stash of these films runs out, I guess I'll have to do some testing to find replacements for them since the boobs at AGFA and Kodak decided to discontinue them.

Mike Sullivan
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

DKT

mine was a rolleiflex 3.5E that I paid $40 for in 1983. I was working at a newspaper as a stringer, and the paper cleared out it's equipment every year for taxes. every year I managed to pick up some piece of equipment, usually pretty worn out, for dirt cheap. This Rollei was in great shape but cosmetically a little ugly--had a custom bracket machined into the left side around the focus knob, to take a graflex mount speedlight. I was torn between it and this bronica SQA system, that was a little bit more, but had a few lenses and backs. In the end, I got the Rollei--and I still have it. The bracket is great--I've used Norman 200Bs, q-flashes etc on it, and it's perfect.... you can wrap your hand around it and still focus with your finger tips. It's like having a potato masher strobe welded onto the body. ugly as hell, but works like a charm.

I remember having that E with me though, once when I wasn't working, and I came upon this spot news accident--I jumped out and ran over and shot it, and went back and ran the film, and they ran one of the pictures. you used to take the prints and run them through a selectric and type the cutline on the back--so I was doing that, and stamping my name on it and all that, and this old timer was sitting at a table near by & we were talking. I said, "Can you believe I shot this on that?", pointing to the rollei. The guy just snorted, and said, "that's all I ever used..." looking at me like I was a total dumbass or something. Oh well, I'll be that way one of these days at the rate things are going....

fwiw--I have a few more rolleis now, but that camera is about the best deal I've ever gotten on a used piece of equipment. I've had it CLA twice, and bot times the repair guys tried to buy it. great mechanical shape, and has had a ton of film put through it, but it's an ugly duckling for sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Asking about "Your first (whatever camera)" is like asking about your first sex experience; it is something you won't appreciate for twenty years, and you did it alone, and then another twenty years later you are over it.

So get over it.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin