Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,997   Posts: 1,524,301   Online: 825

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    First MF camera?
    Yashica C TLR I picked up locally off ebay. Not a bad deal (IMO) either.
    With so many people here talking about how much better potential a larger negative has, I had to try one myself. Already had a 6x6 neg carrier that came with the enlarger, so I figured, "why not?"
    Took some getting used to. In the end I wanted to be able to change lenses. The TLR has a non-interchangeable 80mm. In the end I bought a Mamiya RB and haven't looked back. The Yashica sits on the shelf now, looking all lonely...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jjstafford
    Asking about "Your first (whatever camera)" is like asking about your first sex experience; it is something you won't appreciate for twenty years, and you did it alone, and then another twenty years later you are over it.

So get over it.

Nah, I don't agree. Having your first camera is not like scoring for the first time. It's more like falling in love for the first time. It can end up miserably, but you will have a more interesting story than "well, it was over in five minutes".

My first MF camera is/was a Rollei 2.8C TLR purchased "new" at a camera store. It actually had come from someone's collection, so even though a 1953 model, it was in mint condition in 1980 when I purchased it. I bought it to give myself a larger-negative option for the newspaper work I was then doing. (Plus, it was beautiful and a whole lot cheaper than a Hasselblad at the time.)

It is not in mint condition now, but it performs today as it did then - flawlessly- a good many rolls of film later.

I recently purchased a gently-used Hasselblad from an old friend, and I am torn over whether to keep the Rollei or not. It hasn't seen much use over the past few years, and the Hassy is more in step with my needs. I don't collect cameras, so it needs to be used by someone. The kids are a bit young yet.

On the other hand, it's a compact package and makes a good backup in case of Hasselblad meltdown . . .

Emotional attachment to a piece of metal and glass? Not me . . .

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    it was a kodak twin lens reflex camera borrowed from my uncle.
    unless a 127 format camera is considered medium format - - if that is the case it was my mom's kodak flasfun, when i was about 5 years old ...
    Last edited by jnanian; 06-30-2005 at 06:11 AM. Click to view previous post history.

rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    My first MF camera was an AGFA Isolette II which I bought very cheap on ebay just to try MF. Then I made the fault to look through the waste level finder of a Hasselblad 500. So the first MF camera that I really use is a Rollei SL 66 (with CZ Planar 80mm, CZ Distagon 50mm and CZ Sonnar 150mm) which I got accidently via ebay. In my opinion I could not have done a better choice.

ciao
    -- Ruediger

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    It was a Yashica 635, around 9 months ago.

I'd just got back from a trip to Europe where I had shot all digital (I didn't own a film camera at the time), and was pleased with some of my shots, but I had way too many wasted shots. I decided I wanted something to slow me down, and thought MF was the way to go. I put several rolls through, and my hit rate of good shots tripled. I was so pleased with both the style of shooting, and the results I got with film, I bought a 4x5 and haven't looked back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My late Grandmother's folding Kodak Junior Six-20 from about 1937. She was an Alzheimer's victim, and Dad stole the camera from her bedroom for me one day. I also rescued hundreds of negatives in a shoebox in her garage.

First medium format camera that I bought with my own money... a Brownie Hawkeye of course!

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first MF camera was a Yashicamat (I don't remember the model). I then progessed to a Minolta autocord which IMO had a better lens. My worst MF camera was a mamiyaflex C2. Nothing long with the lens but the winding gears were made of a very soft metal and wore out very quickly. After 3 repairs I decided to wind on using the little window on the back. I now use an Exacta 66 and modified Pentacon Six

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Cords. Cords!

First MF camera was a Rolleicord Vb in mintish condition. It was actually my first "real" camera. I travelled to a shop some 300 km away (in an another country) to get it. I can't remember how or why I got the idea to buy a Rollei. Sadly I was forced to sell it a year down the road, due to financial reasons. I have had several 'cords since then (think I am on my 6th one now) but this was THE one, really sweet camera. I still dream of finding another one in good shape.
    “Do your work, then step back. The only path to serenity.” - Lao Tzu

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first camera that was truly my own was a Lubitel. I was 10 I think, and my dad bought it to keep me away from his Zenit which I was monopolizing. I absolutely fell in love with that little camera! Unfortunately, I think I only shot a couple of rolls of film through it and my family moved to Canada. The little Lubitel got lost somewhere along the way, although I still have the first negative from it!
    Many cameras came and went, dad eventually gave up the fight for the Zenit, and it became mine... I didn't even think you could buy a Lubitel here in North America. I can tell you I was moved to tears when I opened a birthday present from a dear friend last year and found a Lubitel!!! Just like my old one! He heard me talking about it for so many years - the big roll film and TLR configuration made a hell of an impression on me when I was a young lad! I considerd putting it on a shelf just as a piece of memorabilia, but realized I like it too much. It gets used regularly and to pleasing results.

And Mr Stafford, I can tell you that if my friend brings the first "victim" of my sexual urges to me after 20 years... I think the reaction would be different and not nearly as warm fuzzy as the one I got from the Lubitel reunion. Besides, my wife didn't feel inclined to scratch out the Lubitel's lenses

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin