Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,771   Posts: 1,484,310   Online: 1093

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Your FIRST Medium Format Camera

OK, so we've known what were our first 35mm cameras, but what about your first MF camera? How did you came there? Was it a speed bump from 35mm? Or was it simply that in those days photography meant rollfilm? Was it because you became a professional, or because you were dying to try it?

I started with a bakelite folder this spring, a Soho cadet with one shutter speed and four apertures, that I got while searching for a TLR. It eventually convinced me to buy a Yashica-D. For me, the object of the quest was the TLR, but it showed me on the way how great it is to have a bigger negative . Now I'm shooting with it much more than my SLR, so much that I am now seeing 35mm in a different light, and might come back to it with a different approach.

But there's nothing like licking your roll once it's exposed!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Pentacon 6. In Poland in 1989, it was a more discreet camera for street shooting than my Canon F-1N, because it was more common over there.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I had a Yashica Mat 124G. I got it for $75 (I was living in Germany at the time), which is the only reason I bought it. I used it for a few years, but I'm not real fond of the square format. After that I got into 4x5, so I never bought another MF camera.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Era Box, bought in Munich at 15 y.o. in the eighties in an antique camera store. Thought it would be a different experience in way of handling the camera, compared to what I had then.

No wait, when way younger (5 y.o.), dad bought a toy camera, light blue and square, took 120 roll film. Could have been a Vredeborgh.
    Norm-1

Kodak Brownie box, given to me by Norm-1 when we just met. It just seemed one other fun thing to do together. Now look what happened. Our place is swarming with the stuff - it settles in all corners, like dust.
    Norm-2
    Last edited by medform-norm; 06-29-2005 at 04:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rollieflex from the Chelsea Flea Market on 23rd. I loved that thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was working with Pentax 6x7's at the time (1983), but didn't own the cameras, they belonged to the company. I wanted to try MF more on the hobby side and was actually looking for a used P6x7 equipment. Then one day my boss told me of a really sweet deal on a Hasselblad set for sale. I went with him to the shop that were selling, and came home with a 500el/m, a C60/3.5 T*, a C150/4 T*, 2 a12 backs, and some bits and bobs. Everything in as-new condition and in original boxes, and at a ridiculously low price. I loved this equipment, it travelled with me all over Europe, from Athens to Reykjavik.

I had the set for ten years but eventually sold it. This might have been the most regretted thing I have ever done, so a while ago I bought a new set, not as cheap, not as new, but new and cheap enough. And I am once more a happy Hassy owner.

-- MW

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hasselblad 500 c/m. Parents bought it for a Christmas present this past year. Once I found out that Bronica was being discontinued, I ditched that idea and after seeing someone selling a hassy on another board in chrome with a chrome lens, I fell in love. Why square and not rectangle? (I was going for a Bronica GS-1 since it was lighter than a Mamiya RB67) I like not having to rotate the camera. I also like square prints.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1974 - a Yashica Mat-124G. I got it brand spankin' new for $125.00 at an Ann & Hope store in Massachusetts.

I had been shooting 35mm for a while and was turned on to medium format by one of my Dad's older brothers (who also taught me color printing!). Within a few weeks, I bought both the aux telephoto and wide angle lens sets. It was one of the few cameras I wore out, though it took me a lot of years to do!
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yashica mat 124G. This was a deliberate move into a larger format from 35mm. I still have fond memories of it, but not so fond memories of ages spent trying to get 120 film fed into spools!

The first film I used was for colour "snaps" and the apparent sharpness and lack of grain blew me away and sold me on MF.

In fact, at my wedding it absolutely pee'd down and the photographers 2 mamiya's became waterlogged, so I loaned her the Yashica. Kinda ironic having photo's taken with my own camera in the wedding album.

Cheers

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak 620 Box Brownie (my mother's) when I was 7 and started developing and contact printing. Bought a Wirgin 120 folder when I was 15. Also used the High School's Speed Graphic 4x5 when I was 15 - 16.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin