Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,375   Online: 985

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Fujifilm GA645zi limitation or malfunction?

I have just recently purchased a used GA 645zi and am happy with the results so far. However, after awhile, I have noticed some things happening that aren't covered in their most pathetic manual. I was wondering if anyone had any input on these;
    First off when in manual mode shouldn't you be able to use the 1/700th shutter speed in any aperature or chosen focal length? I am finding at 90mm I can only use 700th at f/22 or smaller??????? HUH?????

At 55mm I can only get 1/700th at f/11 or smaller.

Is this correct or is the camera malfunctioning?

I am finding this irritating as I thought with the leaf shutter I could sync at any speed as I want to use my sunpack for a fill with different situations outdoors.

Thanks for any input in advance!
    "EVERY film and paper is good .......... for something"
    Phil Davis

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If memory serves me correctly, the f/stop does vary with the focal length. Go back and check the zoom portion of the manual.

Despite a few quirks, the GA645zi is really a nice camera. I did sell mine a few years ago, so I am relying on memory for this help. And yes, the manuals, aren't all that good.
    Two New Projects! Light on China - 07/13/2014

www.joelipkaphoto.com

250+ posts and still blogging! "Postcards from the Creative Journey"

http://blog.joelipkaphoto.com/

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Does it have a leaf shutter? If it does, that would explain why it can only do high speeds at small apertures. It's probably the type of shutter where the shutter blades are also the aperture blades (like a Studio shutter used on some big portrait lenses), unlike most LF shutters where the shutter blades always open the same amount and are separate from the aperture blades.

Island Heights, NJ, but will retire back to Maine.
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by mikepry
    I have just recently purchased a used GA 645zi and am happy with the results so far. However, after awhile, I have noticed some things happening that aren't covered in their most pathetic manual. I was wondering if anyone had any input on these;
    First off when in manual mode shouldn't you be able to use the 1/700th shutter speed in any aperature or chosen focal length? I am finding at 90mm I can only use 700th at f/22 or smaller??????? HUH?????

At 55mm I can only get 1/700th at f/11 or smaller.

Is this correct or is the camera malfunctioning?

I am finding this irritating as I thought with the leaf shutter I could sync at any speed as I want to use my sunpack for a fill with different situations outdoors.

Thanks for any input in advance!

My GAzi will also only give me 1/700 as its top shutter speed in manual mode. I suspect that's it's limit.

While this may seem like a limitation, it's really not. Most cameras that have a top speed of 1/1000 second realistically are probably a little slower than that. I just came back from a trip to N.M. where my GAzi functioned as my hiking camera, and I used it mostly in manual mode, although mixed it up with some auto stuff too. Didn't get a single bad exposure. It's a great camera, especially for travel.

The only one I like as well is its older (no longer manufactured) brother the GS645 with the fixed 60mm lens. It is the proverbial "hockey puck," having survived dropping, having the front lens cell ripped off in bicycle spokes (which I was able to repair myself in our rented cottage in Brittany), and all-around general abuse. For 15 years, it's been my "grab it and go" camera, and in terms of percentages, has taken far more of my photos than any of the other assorted MF and LF cameras I own. All without even one trip to the shop. Still getting great results from it (although I have to shake it a few times to get the rangefinder to focus properly). When it finally dies (or I manage to kill it) it will deserve a burial service with full honors. In terms of sheer value for money, I don't see how it could be beat. Paid $650 new for it 15 years ago.

Larry

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin