Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,558   Posts: 1,545,238   Online: 880

Shooter
    Multi Format

Rolleiflex/cord film issues?

Hi,
    wondering whether any of you able to help. I've been experiencing for a while now some problems with films loaded on my Rolleicord III and Rolleiflex Automat. I didnt have this problem at all before but for the past few times happening all the time and cannot work out what i'm doing wrong.
    Please see attached bad scan of bad test negative (inverted in PS). You can see the horizontal stripes across the negative. Looking at them closely they have a sort of "ladder" pattern and appear regardless of the film brand I use and on both the Rolleiflex and the Rolleicord.I have not changed the way I load them and try not to load under bright light. It could be some kind of light leak but can't work out where from and I have not changed anything on the cameras. The picture from both cameras were absolutely fine before.
    Is it a problem with the cameras? a problem with the way I load the film?
    I hope some of you can help as was starting to enjoy them. Not sure if I should post more details?
    I appreciate the negative is not great and not greatly processed but the issue happen regardless now. Any suggestion welcome.
    cheers
    Salvo

PS. the lighter area on the right hand side for some reason is not really visible on the negative but only on the scan....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Negissue.jpg  
    "A photograph is not created by a photographer. What he does is just to open a little window and capture it. The world then writes itself on the film. The act of the photographer is closer to reading than it is to writing. They are the readers of the world."
    Ferdinando Scianna, Magnum photographer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am not sure how the light sealing is carried out in a flx or cord, but I had a similar "tiger stripe" problem with an SLR - and some new foam solved it. It does look like a light leak to me.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    You might want to load some film, seal up the edges of the camera with some black tape and shoot a roll. If that comes out okay, then it's probably a light leak.

S

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yep, looks very much like a light leak. If this diagnosis is correct, there are several points where the light can enter the camera (we are only talking from experience with Cords, not Flexes).
    What helps the diagnosis is to put the exposed neg back into the camera and see if you can locate the place where the light has come in by following the path of the neg from spool to spool.

Usual spots to look at:

1. Judging from the problems on your neg, I would say the red window on both cams is very likely the culprit. In old cameras the little red window is often not dark enough for modern paper backed films. Ask yourself: do you use the cameras in their leather carrying case or not? If not, changes are very big this is your problem.
    Solutions: replace the red window or use a bit of black tape over the window.

2. At the bottom hinge of the back door or at the top of the camera where the back door clicks in.
    Solutions: attach a small flap of black supple felt inside the camera to cover potential openings. If this helps, you might not need to replace the foam/velvet light seals.

3. At the rounded corners of the camera back.
    Solutions: go for complete replacement of light seals.

Hope this helps,
    Medform-norm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the same pattern happens on both cameras, we can probably rule out the red window since the Rolleiflex Automat doesn't have one.
    Check the latches on the film door at the top. When I got my Rolleiflex the previous owner didn't have the back properly attached. The back still closed but it was not seated properly, re-latching the film door solved the problem.
    Scott Stadler

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I agree, it seems most unlikely that the same problem would start suddenly in two different cameras. What else have you changed that might effect film from both? You say the film is not all the same batch? Have you changed your processing regime etc? To see if it is the cameras you might try running a different film type, maybe colour, through at least one of them and getting it commercially processed and see if the problem persists.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Many thanks to you all for your feedbacks.
    so it really looks like a leak.... i will try to tape the sides and put a roll thru and see what happens. Still quite strange that the same problems affecting both cameras.
    As far as I know I have not changed anything in the cameras and this is why it is puzzling me so much. I tried different brands of films and nothing changed the way I process them. I also sent a couple to a lab and both still showed the same problems..... :o

I will also check again that the cameras close correctly but actually they look fine.... mistery? or without realising I'm somehow doing something wrong
    Cheers
    S
    "A photograph is not created by a photographer. What he does is just to open a little window and capture it. The world then writes itself on the film. The act of the photographer is closer to reading than it is to writing. They are the readers of the world."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only other thing that I can think of is the film itself - you say it happens with all different films - maybe there is a pattern to the way you handle the film after exposure? Perhaps storage? This is very unlikely - but I'm just kind of brain storming - the fact that two cameras became affected at the same time does seem strange.
    Although by the look of it - one way or another - light is the culprit.
    Let us know what happened once you solve it - I'd be very curious to know!

Shooter
    Multi Format

Frustrating....

took a while but eventually put another roll thru it....
    - Camera was sealed on the edges and used in its orginal case too
    - Loaded camera in a darker envirnment
    - Film loaded in tank in a completely blacked out room and inside a darkroom changing bag.
    - Still showing those marks/stripes
    - Different rolls developed in different tanks in previous attempts, to no avail
    - I have used the tank many times and no problems when doing 35mm
    - no changed the way i process the films
    - film processed at labs also show the same issue and pro lab I used confirmed their processes are "light leak" proof - (no other customers raised issue). Used them before I start developing them myself and never a problem occurred.
    - I don't know

I have attached a couple of photos that I have printed from a set of negatives affected: in both cases the "tiger stripes" kinda go thru the middle. More evident in the portrait. In the other photo you can spot them between the masts of the first 2 boats. Somehow in the same rolls this stripes are sometimes more or less marked and clear....
    ANy help in casting some light on this is really welcome.... I was enjoing so much the MF and the Rolleis
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails RolleiTest1.jpg   RolleiTest2.jpg  

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin