Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,902   Posts: 1,584,559   Online: 1048

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Using Hasselblad EV Lense Setting Scale

Reportedly Hasselblad lenses can be set so the shutter speeds and f/stops can be adjusted in pairs to facilitate use of the EV scale (haven't figured out how to do this yet)? Does this mean that the EV value from the spot meter can be set here? If so, how useful do you Hasselblad shooters find this feature – and, how many really use it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hortense
    Reportedly Hasselblad lenses can be set so the shutter speeds and f/stops can be adjusted in pairs to facilitate use of the EV scale (haven't figured out how to do this yet)? Does this mean that the EV value from the spot meter can be set here? If so, how useful do you Hasselblad shooters find this feature – and, how many really use it?
    Yes, it coincides with the EV values on the meter.

On the aperture setting ring, there is, to the immediate right of the widest aperture (clockwise, as seen from the rear), a "tab" for getting a good grip in setting the aperture. IN this tab, there is another tab - a sub-tab. If this sub-tab is NOT depressed, the aperture ring is independent of the shutter speed ring; If depressed, both rings are locked together at a given EV stop.

FAR easier to demonstrate than write about.

I confess that I don't use the EV system much, but I do use this locking tab ... it is now nearly a subconscious action.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't really look at the EV value on the meter, but just set the pairing to the appropriate f/stop for the depth of field I'm after, and the metered shutter speed. It is then extremely convenient to just turn the ring to vary the f/stop (as long as the light doesn't change from the original metering).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hortense
    Actually, I just started using this function along with a zone system dial found here:
    http://www.darkroomagic.com/ (go to the 'BOOK' link, and scroll down to "How to Build and Use a Zone Dial.")

Here's a link to a pretty nice illustration of the EV ring... I don't know which Hasselblad you've got, but I can't imagine them moving this around too much!
    http://www.urmonas.net/manuals/500cm/500cm-10.jpg

Hope this helps!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ed, Kevin & BWGirl,
    Thanks for the input. I am still trying to get on top of the this camera. BWGirl, I have the link you gave printed but it is hard to read on my tube as well as from my old LaserJet II printer. However, I should be recieving Ernst Wildi's book (5th edition) in a couple of days. Meanwhile, I am really enjoying the quality of this camera, in particular, the reduced weight compared to my LF. The 500 C/M will get me off the road further so my fellow photographer may quit calling me a "roadkill photographer".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I love that feature! I have my meter permanently set to read EVs, and set the pair on the lens. FWIW, the functioning depends on what type of lens you have. The older lenses had a tab to uncouple the shutter and aperture rings. If left alone, you always kept the same EV. The newer lenses (from CF on I think) have a button you need to press to couple the two rings so they turn together.

And now a related question for our more knowledgeable members here. Anyone know why the EV numbers on the lens go up to 21 when the highest you can actually set is EV 18 (1/500th @ f/22)?
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NikoSperi
    And now a related question for our more knowledgeable members here. Anyone know why the EV numbers on the lens go up to 21 when the highest you can actually set is EV 18 (1/500th @ f/22)?
    Hmm. Never thought of that before. EV 21 would be 1/2000th @ f/32 ...???

The aperture rings appear to be identical on all three Hasselblad lenses I own - the 50mm, 80mm, and 150mm. The 150 can be set to EV 19 ... the smallest aperture being f/32.

Possibly Prontor/ Zeiss decided to "standardize" on one aperture ring, allowing for future shutter improvements ... ???
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    Possibly Prontor/ Zeiss decided to "standardize" on one aperture ring, allowing for future shutter improvements ... ???
    I thought of that. But that would imply that somewhere out there exists a Zeiss that either hits 1/2000th shutter speed (which I think would be a record for a nodal plane shutter) or stops down to f/64... all without losing the Bay60 external dimension. Didn't find an answer in Wildi... just curious. I'm usually banging around the EV4 area anyway... (so if 1sec at f/4 is EV 4, I need 76 secs...)
    If you tone it down alot, it almost becomes bearable.

- Walker Evans on using color

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ... But that would imply that somewhere out there exists a Zeiss that either hits 1/2000th shutter speed ...
    Not necessarily that one exists NOW ... but that one MIGHT exist at some time in the future. Could happen.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hm... maybe it was to give us something to think about! haha

hortense... if you want, I can email you a jpeg of that dial. It's a dandy gizmo! I have the 500 c/m, too. I love it dearly!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin