Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,131   Online: 1134

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Good things from Velvia 50

I've been rather frustrated with my MF work lately. The last three rolls have been less than stellar. Well, today I picked up a roll of Velvia 50 I shot of my 15 month old daughter who had gotten in the sandbox and found the bucket of water her older brother left. I used the last four shots on a lavender bush in full bloom.

I have two keepers of the baby and another two of the lavender. Man, I love the saturation of this film and once I remembered to shoot faster settings with my kids I got better results. My wife is really happy with the four and that means less groaning and eye rolling when I put film in the fridge

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I agree that Velvia 50 is beautiful color in MF. It does inspire to see it and your pictures do come out better but you do have to slow down to use it. Also, I avoid the wife issue by buying a student sized refrigerator at a garage sale for $10.00. It is small and holds a lot of film (Only).

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    David,

I hadn't thought of the mini fridge. Great idea

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'm glad you had good results, I am rather surprised that you like the results of the images you took of your daughter. Velvia 50 really isn't very good for skin tones.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The shots of Hadley were a success based on the fact that my wife loved them. Personally, there were some composition issues I wasn't thrilled with. But the lavender looked awsome. Then again, my paintings are a bit odd so saturated odd looking skin tones from Velvia 50 may be right up my alley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MenacingTourist
    My wife is really happy with the four and that means less groaning and eye rolling when I put film in the fridge
    We have a second full size fridge in the basement and the Mrs. is always groaning about how much space I'm annexing. First it was the rolls of 35mm. Then the boxes of bulk rolls, the bulk loader, then the paper boxes and paper safe, then the rolls of 120/220 (about 60-80 rolls). Now its the box of 4x5 and the loaded film holders....

...soon the fridge with be MINE, ALL MINE!!!!
    mmuuAH HA HA HA HA HA!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fuji skin tones.

Quote Originally Posted by MenacingTourist
    I've been rather frustrated with my MF work lately. The last three rolls have been less than stellar. Well, today I picked up a roll of Velvia 50 I shot of my 15 month old daughter who had gotten in the sandbox and found the bucket of water her older brother left. I used the last four shots on a lavender bush in full bloom.

I have two keepers of the baby and another two of the lavender. Man, I love the saturation of this film and once I remembered to shoot faster settings with my kids I got better results. My wife is really happy with the four and that means less groaning and eye rolling when I put film in the fridge
    Hi, I too use Fuji Velvia MF film with my Mamiya system, and the colour saturation ,contrast, and purity blows my sox off, but for people shots I use Fuji Astia it produces better skin tones isn't as contrasty, and hasn't got so high a colour saturation, try it sometime.
    Ben

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks for the tip Bentley. I'll try it

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin