Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,686   Posts: 1,482,287   Online: 926

Shooter
    Pinhole

3-in-one question Hass/Kiev/cheapskate

1,2) On the KIEV 88 back, and presumably whatever Hasselblad (1000?) model it was plagiarized from, the winding gear that mates with the body winding drive appears to be a dull grey metal...looks like cast zinc (on the KIEV back) to me. I do not own a KIEV 88 or Hasselblad, just picked up a cheap back for a project. Can someone please tell me their best guess at the material used for the mating gear in the body?

My imagination tells me one of the gears might be a harder material, or one that shouldn't create dust.

3) Are there any aftermarket (cheap) Hasselblad extension tubes (for later internal shutter bodies) that could be hacked into a lens adapter to use non-standard lenses on such cameras? Maybe there is no need for such a thing...if one can afford a recent H, it would be unthinkable? The 'official' ones are costly enough to give one pause. But I think I have read of bad experiences with off brand accessories between mating components gettin stuck.

Thank you
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The obvious answer is to get a Kiev 88. Tubes are cheap if you want them. Focal plane. Plus pure Kiev 88 lenses are fairly cheap. Cheaper then P6 lens. OTOH today plenty of cheap MF cameras so I'm not sure if it still makes sense.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery
    1,2) On the KIEV 88 back, and presumably whatever Hasselblad (1000?) model it was plagiarized from, the winding gear that mates with the body winding drive appears to be a dull grey metal...looks like cast zinc (on the KIEV back) to me. I do not own a KIEV 88 or Hasselblad, just picked up a cheap back for a project. Can someone please tell me their best guess at the material used for the mating gear in the body?

My imagination tells me one of the gears might be a harder material, or one that shouldn't create dust.

3) Are there any aftermarket (cheap) Hasselblad extension tubes (for later internal shutter bodies) that could be hacked into a lens adapter to use non-standard lenses on such cameras? Maybe there is no need for such a thing...if one can afford a recent H, it would be unthinkable? The 'official' ones are costly enough to give one pause. But I think I have read of bad experiences with off brand accessories between mating components gettin stuck.

Thank you
    It sounds like you are looking to build a medium format camera that can take advantage of a number of lenses. This could become quite complex making sure the lenses will focus correctly.

I once had such a dream and ended up with a roll-film back and a 2x3 and 4x5 Speed Graphic. Bellow focus, focal plane shutter, choice of multiple backs, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9 etc and cheap. Lots of lenses in barrel and shutter.

There are adaptors out there for the Hasselblad allowing the body to be mounted on a view camera, and adaptors for allowing the lenses to be used as enlarging lenses; but have only once seen the body adaptor show up once on EBay.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeK
    It sounds like you are looking to build a medium format camera that can take advantage of a number of lenses. This could become quite complex making sure the lenses will focus correctly.
    [... snip good stuff ...]
    Mike
    It appears that the OP prefers handheld cameras, which takes the challenge to a place I'm ignorant of. But FWIW, the Hasselblad 1000f was the worst camera they made. I've never had one that stood up to hard use. The OP might look to the many articles on Bob Managhan's site at http://medfmt.8k.com/ Somewhere in there is an article on hacking odd lenses.

Too bad the Linhof Super Technika MF cameras are still so appreciated and therefore spendy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

The winding gear that mates with the body in my KIEV 88 (new style) roll film backs is made of steel. Who knows what yours is - check it with a magnet.

The Ukrainian Kiev design was based on the Hassleblad 1000F. HOWEVER, parts are not interchangeble between the two cameras!

Thank you
    The only aftermarket Hassy accessories I'm aware of are fairly expensive.

I have hacked lenses (in shutters) onto my 501 CM using regular Hassy extension tubes. I also hacked my 501 CM body onto my 4x5 field camera using a Hassy extension tube.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Thanks replies.

It's a multi-purpose goal. To keep it short, I obtained a 645 format custom zoom lens & can get more. I want to determine resolution and whether it covers 6x6 as well, then possibly explore what MF SLR's it can be mounted to. Thus far, only ones ruled out are RB/RZ67 becasuse registration distance is too long.

In the long run, I may either use it with 4x5 SG for round images or depending how nice a job I do on the metal box test jig, that might serve as a permanent camera later. I will probably have interchangeable backplates, one that hold the KIEV back, with separate ground glass spaced to match rollfilm back, and another backplate for a 2x3 Universal/Mamiya Press back that's like a Graflok with it's own GG in it.

SK Grimes is easiest but most costly solution, but not until I establish some 'credentials' for the lens. I think it has some potential, but it's a diamond-in-the-rough as a completely incompatible flange/barrel mount it currently has.

Anyway, this keeps me off the street and I may end up with a MF rig that solves my MF folder headaches :O), and I'm learning in the process.

Thank you all.
    Murray

Shooter
    Pinhole
    One more crazy idea (it's all relative) was to take a plastic body Polaroid packfilkm cam & hack it down as a packfilm back & try Type 665 or 85 , but that is the least cooperative mechanically to get parallel and to be compatible with the other two combinations...
    Murray

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin