Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,227   Posts: 1,532,682   Online: 855

Shooter
    Large Format

RB67, double exposures, and the gift of mistakes

I understand that this thread would fit better in the "philosophy" section, but I'd like to share here with the mid format fellows some of my very humble experience.

As owner of a RB67 "pro" (that is non-"proS" and non-"proSD") system I'm ofted being pointed by other users to its "defects", the only one which really stands is the lack of a double exposure preventing safety, all the others being just heard things or urban legends.

To those who are looking for a RB on the-horrible-auction-site or wherever else, and are ruling out the "pro" in advance after the lack of this feature, I'd like to say: don't do so.

Double exposure is the DEFAULT in large format. To those who may eventually look forward to a step to large format (and I know it will happen, sooner or later), I strongly suggest to develop a consistent method in photographing already in medium format. Training ourselves to deal with the risk of a double or missed exposure in mid-format, is a knowledge baggage that will be forever useful in large format, or at least it was very precious to me.

Secondarily, double exposure is a must with pre-exposure and complete application of the zone system. I personally dislike cameras which require tricks to perform a double exposure. (I guess, however, that both proS and proSD have a handy double exposure facility).

I understand that an accidental double exposure can be highly irritating. It happened to me as well, of course. That was a lesson I just couldn't forget, though; and whenever I photograph on large format, I'm glad that I took that lesson long ago on a cheap 120 film... "Not all evil comes to do bad", they say here.

Are there other supporters of the RBpro perhaps? I feel alone...
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I love my RB67 Pro! Not having double exposure prevention built in to the camera reminds me to slow down and think about what I'm doing. Besides, I'd rather wind the film and shutter one at a time than have to trick the camera to operate one part without the other (advance film without operating the shutter, operate the shutter without advancing film). Actually, the film backs do have a little red dot (exposed indicator) that is triggered by the camera when the main shutter button is operated.
    Jacob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also have a RB-Pro. I found the trick is to make winding a habit. Press the shutter, wait for it to close, wind the back.
    After several mistakes, I thought "I never forget to fire the shutter, why do I forget to wind the film?"
    Press the shutter, advance the film.
    Press the shutter, advance the film.
    If this helps me if (when) I move to LF that's a bonus! I'm sure I'll need all the help I can get.

So, just how does one wind 8x10 film?
    Last edited by rogueish; 07-18-2005 at 09:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rogueish
    "I never forget to fire the shutter, why do I forget to wind the film?"
    Very good point!
    I know a chap who does excellent portraits. The chap is a camera.
    (Tristan Tzara, 1922)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin