Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,569   Posts: 1,545,463   Online: 1153

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Hasselblad do's-n-don'ts

Greetings:

My 45 year old Rollei SL66 died yesterday and will be getting rebuilt over the next 6 weeks. I had a backup SLR - a Bronica - but the lenses did not give Zeiss like results so I sold it off. So I just ordered a USED 500CM and a few lenses.

I understand that (like the Rollei) there are certain things you must do in order and the consequenses of doing them wrong can damage the unit. What are the 500 series do's and don'ts - I would like these tips before I get it and have to send IT in for repairs - Thanks!
    My photos are always without all that distracting color ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fhovie
    Greetings:
    understand that (like the Rollei) there are certain things you must do in order and the consequenses of doing them wrong can damage the unit. What are the 500 series do's and don'ts - I would like these tips before I get it and have to send IT in for repairs - Thanks!
    Two quick nuisances: 1) mounting the lens when the lens and body are not in the same cocked state and 2) the T/O positions on the shutter release. Messing up #1 jams up the lens very nicely, but can usually be undone and #2 done wrong can close the rear shutter too soon on a long exposure.

HERE's the manual page.
    http://elearning.winona.edu/jjs/h/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Interesting - the link is to the lenses with the Synchro Compur shutters ... and other than that, not much has changed over the years. The later Prontor shutters do not have "M" synchronization for flash bulbs or "V" - the self timer.

jjstafford has it right ... ALWAYS be sure the film has been advanced and the shutter cocked (mirror returned to "viewing" position, etc.) before removing the lens. Always be *sure* the body is "cocked" before re-installing a lens... and be sure the lens - shutter is cocked as well. Whatever you do ... DON'T FORCE ANYTHING!!!

He is also right about the "slow" shutter speeds - If you "jab" the shutter release button - releasing it quickly, the internal "body blinds" can close before the shutter does at the slower speeds .. Release the shutter button SLOWLY - allowing it to have been depressed for more than one second, at least.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    Interesting - the link is to the lenses with the Synchro Compur shutters ... and other than that, not much has changed over the years. The later Prontor shutters do not have "M" synchronization for flash bulbs or "V" - the self timer.
    Yes, and that's an important distinction.

When you break or lose a cable release in the field, that self-timer comes in real handy. Too bad it's missing on later lenses. (But I sure wouldn't mind being rid of the coupled speed/aperture.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    DO -- get an acutte-matte screen or you'll be sorry. I think the 500cm is good for the 2.8 80mm lens but anything else, wow, its darker than my Minolta SRT 101 screen.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eric
    DO -- get an acutte-matte screen or you'll be sorry. I think the 500cm is good for the 2.8 80mm lens but anything else, wow, its darker than my Minolta SRT 101 screen.
    As Eric points out, get an acutte-matte screen, the original screen is quite dim in comparison. The other no no, is dropping the camera from a great height

Mike

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Yup, dropping it is not good...
    and I'll just stress once more the cocking of the body and the lens before mointing and un-mounting lens...
    And if you use extension rings, always mount the ring on the body first, and then mount the lens, and remove the lens first before removing the ring...

Otherwise, swedish cubes are great !

PJ
    Patrick Jan Van Hove
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera"
    Mamut Photo, The Ultra-Large-Format photography homepage

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I saw somewhere (eBay?) where a fellow sells a small tool for Hassy users in case they have the lens & body in different cocked/uncocked states.

Wish I could remember who/where I saw it but someone else might know.

Should be an important tool to carry. Not that you'd ever need one...

Terry Thomas
    Photographer
    Atlanta, Georgia USA

See some current stills from the set of a forthcoming film here: www.psychopathia.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    That tool is also useful in case the Hasselblad suddenly trips and cannot be reset by recocking the shutter. I got one at, I believe B&H Photo, and it saved my bacon a couple of times. A couple of other times it tripped, jammed, and could not be recocked, in which case it needed a trip to my friendly old camera repair man. Other than that, my old 500CM has worked great for me, despite once falling into the mud at the edge of a lake. Do you have any idea what it feels like to be looking through your spot meter and watch your camera fall through the field of view?!?!

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    • Warning: Pregnant women, the elderly and children under 10 should avoid prolonged exposure to Hasselblad.
    • Caution: Hasselblad may suddenly accelerate to dangerous speeds.
    • Hasselblad Contains a liquid core, which, if exposed due to rupture, should not be touched, inhaled, or looked at.
    • Do not use Hasselblad on concrete.

Discontinue use of Hasselblad if any of the following occurs:

• Itching
    • Vertigo
    • Dizziness
    • Tingling in extremities
    • Loss of balance or coordination
    • Slurred speech
    • Temporary blindness
    • Profuse sweating
    • Heart palpitations

If Hasselblad begins to smoke, get away immediately. Seek shelter and cover head.

Hasselblad may stick to certain types of skin.

When not in use, Hasselblad should be returned to its special container and kept under refrigeration.

Ingredients of Hasselblad include an unknown glowing substance which fell to Earth, presumably from outer space.

Hasselblad has been shipped to our troops in Saudi Arabia and is also being dropped by our warplanes on Iraq.

Do not taunt Hasselblad.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin