Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,465   Online: 839

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This may be a little too obvious but I won't let it stop me-) Ensign is an English camera. 82mm would be 3.25" Or about that. Why would anybody expect an English company to not make an English format camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nick, 2.25" x 3.25" is an american format, as far as I know invented by Kodak for 120 film. But nowadays the world is pretty well metricated, US' backwardness notwithstanding. 35 mm is also an american format, invented jointly by Eastman and Edison. Go figure.

2.25" x 3.25" does not go evenly into the native UK LF film/plate size 1 plate. A plate is 6.5" x 8.5", the smallest commonly used fractional plate is quarter plate, 3.25" x 4.25".

2.25" x 3.25" is commonly approximated in metric by 6x9. This is not a good approximation even though it comes very close to preserving the format's aspect ratio. Can't shoot 6x9 on 120 film, the film's not wide enough.

There was a metric 6.5 x 9 sheet film size that's not used much these days.

None of this matters very much except when trying to compare angles of view given focal length across formats. Then, if we get a format's dimensions wrong we get the equivalent focal length wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh by the way, Nick, I received a batch of mount adapters and bracketry from SKGrimes on Wednesday.

My 260/10 Nikkor-Q (looks like a Process Nikkor, came in a wooden box like a Process Nikkor, stops only to f/32 like a Process Nikkor) covers 2x3 at infinity front-mounted on a #1 and focuses to about 12 feet on my 2x3 Pacemaker Speed. I guess now I'll have to use the fool thing. I told you I'd do it sooner or later.

Even more interesting, the tandem camera went together as designed and my 480/9 Apo Nikkor focuses to about 12 feet on it. Seems to cover too, but only shooting will verify that.

Its a disappointment, but the tandem camera's short configuration is a little too thick to allow my 305/9 Apo Nikkor to focus to infinity. So I tried the 305 on the 2x3 Speed and it too will work there. Doesn't look quite as absurd as the 260 ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My understanding is 120 was a follow on format. The same film used to come with different backing paper for different camera formats. So instead of having three sets of numbers on the paper you'd buy 2.25x2.25 or whatever format film your camera took.

Ensign invented the 129 film format. Which is I think 2x3.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Oh by the way, Nick, I received a batch of mount adapters and bracketry from SKGrimes on Wednesday.

My 260/10 Nikkor-Q (looks like a Process Nikkor, came in a wooden box like a Process Nikkor, stops only to f/32 like a Process Nikkor) covers 2x3 at infinity front-mounted on a #1 and focuses to about 12 feet on my 2x3 Pacemaker Speed. I guess now I'll have to use the fool thing. I told you I'd do it sooner or later.

Even more interesting, the tandem camera went together as designed and my 480/9 Apo Nikkor focuses to about 12 feet on it. Seems to cover too, but only shooting will verify that.

Its a disappointment, but the tandem camera's short configuration is a little too thick to allow my 305/9 Apo Nikkor to focus to infinity. So I tried the 305 on the 2x3 Speed and it too will work there. Doesn't look quite as absurd as the 260 ...
    Dunno about the 260/10 Nikkor-Q, but my 260/10 Process Nikkor, 305/9 Apo Nikkor and 480/9 Apo Nikkor all focus at infinity on my 8x10 Wehman (barrel mounted with lens sock shutters) and they all cover 8x10 with movements.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm still looking foreward to using the 820 despite the mixed reactions!. I usually use 5x4, but I also use an Olympus pen quite a lot. What I was after was a 'vintage' compact camera to use like I use the Olympus,that was easy to use, gave a bigger neg, very easy to carry. With this in mind I thought the 820 would do along with a light monopod, small meter, lens hood and a couple of filters. I could walk for miles with this little set!
    I'm still not 100% sure of the filter size although I reckon its 42mm push on. I'm not really into collecting vintage stuff to display, I'd much rather use it, so I'll have a look at the lens front after my hols and perhaps epoxy a ring on the front (if it will still fold up) that will use the large amount of 49mm filters / hoods I already have. If I can't do that, then who knows!. Some of this vintage stuff is maddening!

Shooter
    Multi Format

Houghton Ensigne Selfix

Quote Originally Posted by richard littlewood
    I have one of these cracking 6x9 folders being delivered while I'm off on holiday. Its got the Ross xpress lens. While I'm off I will have an opportunity to get hold of a few contrast filters for it, and maybe a lens hood. Upshot is no one knows the filter size/type. I'd love to get using the camera as soon as we return. I bet some one on APUG knows what the filter size is! - please.
    I seem to remember way back in the mists of time, in the early fiftys I lusted after one of these, and pressing my nose close to the camera store window to get a closer look , as far as I recall it took 40.5 mm push on filters. At that time I recall the Epsilon shutter had a bad reputation, although I never owned one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bentley Boyd
    I seem to remember way back in the mists of time, in the early fiftys I lusted after one of these, and pressing my nose close to the camera store window to get a closer look , as far as I recall it took 40.5 mm push on filters. At that time I recall the Epsilon shutter had a bad reputation, although I never owned one.
    Okay, now we've got a second mention of the 40.5 push-on filters. We're getting really curious what you find when back from your hols, Richard...

Epsilon shutters: hmm, well, we have one on a post-war 5in Ross WA. The lens is very sharp, but the shutter is a little unreliable indeed. We check it a couple of times before taking the plunge of making an exposure. What we really need to do is take it apart and take a long and severe look at its insides to make it behave properly. No idea why its so unstable. Bad design?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the reply, Tom. If it wasn't clear, I shoot 2x3 with 2x3 Graphics. My tandem camera is just a pair of 2x3 Graphics; rear camera holds the film, front camera holds the lens. A far cry from a Wehman.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It was clear to me that you were using a 2x3 (or 2 2x3's), Dan.

I shoot 6x7, 6x9 and 6x12 rollfilm with my 8x10 Wehman. I have a 4x5 Graflock reducing back for the Wehman and several rollfilm backs.

The Wehman may be about the same weight as your tandem graphic??
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin