Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,501   Posts: 1,543,347   Online: 864

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Digidurst
    A bit OT but I did that with a couple lenses once from KEH. When I called to get authorization to return one of them, I caught alot of flack. The guy made me feel like pond scum just because I wanted to try the two lenses side by side to make my final decision. Won't do that again, that's for sure!
    Sorry you had that experience... I've been dealing with them for 16 years (I purchased my hassy + 3 lenses... I purchased my Beseler enlarger as well as several light meters... Nothing but gracious treatment.... I don't know where else you can get this kind of service in the "used market"... I've also noticed that they are becoming more competitive because of Ebay.....
    Often wrong, but never in doubt!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Soeren
    I don't think I agree on that one. Yes the possible end quality from a LF neg is greater than that from a MF neg. Regarding the costs on the other hand you can come a long way in MF before you start shooting in LF, at least here in DK.
    I purchased my Hassy w/80mm (older C type lens) + 1 back & waist level finder for $1,350... I used it for 6 months and then bought the following over time: 1 Eyeleve finder $400, 150mm C lens for $650, 2 additional A12 backs for about $600 for the pair, 50mm CT lens $700: total cost: $3700 This doesn't count the ~$1,000 I had tied up in the RB67 which I got too old to hike with.... After all of this, the kind of photography that I do is not optimal with MF

I can buy a Zone VI field camera (on ebay) ~$750:, 150mm Nikkor lens for $245 (currently on KEH), a 210mm Nikkor lens for $484 (on KEH), and a 90mm Nikkor for $819 (on KEH) 3 lens boards for ~$100 and 5 pair of Elite film holders @ $20 (on KEH) for $100... total cost:$2498

I just bought a used Beseler 4M 4X5 enlarger w/ a Zone VI cold light (the best ever made) for $400.... (it included 3 lenses (50, 110 & 150) and lense boards and negative carriers...so you see that you can break into LF for under $3000 if you had nothing, and the picture quality is a quantum better!!!! I still have enough left over to buy a very nice used Leica for 35mm handheld shooting!!!!
    Often wrong, but never in doubt!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Digidurst
    A bit OT but I did that with a couple lenses once from KEH. When I called to get authorization to return one of them, I caught alot of flack. The guy made me feel like pond scum just because I wanted to try the two lenses side by side to make my final decision. Won't do that again, that's for sure!
    Now who in the world would send you two or more lenses to choose from? I do think that is asking for too much, even from KEH.

I worked briefly as a counter person at a huge camera shop once and thought I'd seen it all until a guy kept insisting that I get him a 'blad with "a cool serial number... list 'em all and let me pick one..." Sure, I did it because he was a customer but I wanted to tell him to get real.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would like to put in a good word for the Mamiya 645 system. The prices for them are really affordable, they have great optics, and they handle very well. I agree that a 6X7 negative would be nice, but for the cost of a Mamiya 7 or the size and weight of a Pentax 67, I am very happy with the 645. I also believe that going from a 35mm to a MF system is a good move. I have found that I took my pictures much more slowly and contemplatively with the MF rig than with 35mm and it was a big step for me. Prices have dropped so much on these systems that they are affordable enough to just try out to see if you like it. If not, you can get most, if not all, of your money back on eBay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would agree with the various voices suggesting something bigger than 6 x 4.5. I tend to think that if you are going MF: go all the way. 6 x 7 has close to twice the film area of 6 x 4.5 and I too like the Pentax 67. It's a bit heavy to carry about all day, though. For landscape you might like a lighter range finder. 6 x 9 might be even better for landscape, especially as it will give you the same image proportions that you are used to with 35mm. It uses more film, but not that much. The only real trouble is that a lot fewer enlargers can take it.

David.

wfe
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Suggest you also consider what it is that you shoot and how you like to shoot. For me moving up changed the way I shoot both positivly and negativly. I now shoot both 35mm and medium format with a Hasselblad depending on the situation.

Good luck !!!
    ~Bill
    "Real Art is a Thin Breath Exhaled Amidst a Struggle in the Mind"
    Fine Art and Portraits

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wfe
    Suggest you also consider what it is that you shoot and how you like to shoot. For me moving up changed the way I shoot both positivly and negativly. I now shoot both 35mm and medium format with a Hasselblad depending on the situation.

Good luck !!!

I agree. It seems to me that most of the suggestions made here aren't taking into consideration the subject matter. I also don't see why some are suggesting either MF or LF. It seems to me that there could be room for both. I really enjoy the fact that I can have a negative larger than 35mm using a camera that is only slightly more cumbersome than a 35mm.

MF can be expensive, but it doesn't have to be. I made my jump into MF 2 years ago. I got a Mamiya 645 1000s, metered prism, 55mm lens, 80 mm lens for less than $500. All of the equipment was used (ebay) but I have had 0 problems with it and I've put quite a few rolls through it. I'm not opposed to 6x6 or 6x7, I chose 6x4.5 simply for economic reasons, but I really do like it.

Looking back, I'm really glad that I chose to go to MF. In the future, I will buy a LF, but I will use it in addition the other formats.

Shooter
    Multi Format

RB67

Let me add my vote for the Mamiya RB67. It's a heavy beast, but I love mine. (Yes, I lug it on hikes.) These things are cheap too, especially in bargain condition from KEH. Mine's a bit rough cosmetically, but the images are still beautiful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    One thing to consider is with waist level finders on MF the image is laterally reversed, and takes some getting used to composing your shots ,and keeping the horizon straight, unless you buy a prism finder it's particularly difficult to follow moving subjects, having said that, the quality you will get even with fairly inexpensive MF gear will blow you away. Go to a store and test drive some, see how they feel to handle. This is probably the best time ever to buy MF , everyone and his brother are going digital and there are some real bargains out there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Buying on E-bay, or mail order etc. may be great if you know exactly what you want. But if you can, handle and play with as many styles and types you can, friends, camera clubs and decent camera stores can help with that. I use various styles of medium formats depending what and how I am shooting. Pick one that suits you not me, or any one else ! Then enjoy.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin