Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,328   Posts: 1,537,119   Online: 906

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    rst
    Shooter
    Pinhole
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rst
    ... SL66 ... a bit of shift (only 8 degrees up and down, but still better than nothing).
    Ups, that is just wrong, I meant tilt, not shift. A friend showed me some 4x5 scans that day and we must have talked to much about shifting

ciao
    -- Ruediger

Shooter
    Large Format
    Go for it! LF will consume you. I mean you will love LF! Come to the dark side, I mean dark slide.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Thank you all

Thanks everyone for the wonderful responses.

One thing I have decided is that I am moving up to medium format, and probably 6x4.5.

I am in a darkroom class right now (good way to see others' work), and the medium format negatives and prints simply don't compare to my dinky 35mm negatives.

While square negatives (6x6) are quite nice, I think I am more of a rectangular guy.

Now to figure out which camera...

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wmcgowin
    While square negatives (6x6) are quite nice, I think I am more of a rectangular guy.

Now to figure out which camera...
    Well, don't be a piker, then, get a 6x9! I've got a Voigtlander Rollfilmkamera that was made in 1928 that makes the second-best negatives I've seen short of large format (my Kodak Reflex II makes the best). You can buy non-rangefinder cameras in this category for under $20, and the ones made before WWII often have leather bellows that, if not completely fine, are at least repairable; even the cheaper lenses are pretty good and the Tessars and Skopars are pretty well distributed and very, very good (though flare-prone if uncoated).

If you really like 6x4.5, consider one of the half-frame Ikontas or a Daiichi Zenobia -- these little folders are comparable in size to a 35 mm with retracting lens (a little bigger than a collapsed Rollei 35, but about the same as a collapsible lens Leica), and are capable of doing justice to the 6x4.5 negative (and if it fits in a pocket, you can always have it with you).
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

New Orleans cameras

Try Lakeside Camera in New Orleans Haven't been there in a year but they did have some used equipment. Knowledgable people when I was there.

Shooter
    35mm
    I feel the most important question to answer is "what am I going to do with this camera"?

If you intend to exploit the maximum quality that you can get from 120 roll film and wish to have the utmost flexibility in image mamagement and do not intend to use the camera hand held then something like a Arca Swiss 2x3 view camera would be wonderful. If you wanted to use it handheld for a small portion of the work then the Horseman ER1 would be a wonderful compromise but very difficult to find. If you intend to use it mainly handheld then a Haaselblad using Copal shutters is a good chice if you need interchangeable lenses. Uf use do not need interchangeable lenses than a Rolleiflex 3.5 F with Zeiss Planar is extremely hard to beat and I have seen these cameras over the last 40 years continually increase in value.

So, do you know what you wish to use the camera for?
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jjstafford
    Now who in the world would send you two or more lenses to choose from? I do think that is asking for too much, even from KEH.
    Nobody would! I PURCHASED them both and wanted to return one.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin