Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,085   Online: 1076

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

Mamiya RZ67 or Pentax 67II?

I currently have a Mamiya 645 and I would like to step up to an outfit with a larger frame size, like 6 x 7. I am not a big fan of square format due to the cropping issues. The equipment will be used to shoot mostly portraits and weddings. I have been looking into the Mamiya RZ67 and the Pentax 67 due to ther flexibility and reasonable price range. Also, I plan to get a poloroid back for whatever system I buy. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron
    I currently have a Mamiya 645 and I would like to step up to an outfit with a larger frame size, like 6 x 7. I am not a big fan of square format due to the cropping issues. The equipment will be used to shoot mostly portraits and weddings. I have been looking into the Mamiya RZ67 and the Pentax 67 due to ther flexibility and reasonable price range. Also, I plan to get a poloroid back for whatever system I buy. Any thoughts or suggestions?
    I have used both and personally i like the Pentax 67, but its probably too loud for a wedding. Its a real whacker. Personally like the Pentax lenses a little better. For portraits is probably fine.

The RZ and RB 67 pro s have the smoothest mirror action I have found to date on MF and the roatating back is handy on a tripod. Its not as loud as a 67. Not as handholdable either.

Of course if you want something really quite and sharp get a mamiya 7.

Probably best to rent each and try them out. They are all very expensive systems.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Troy! I hadn't thought about the Mamiya 7 mainly because I only used a rangefinder once many years ago and wasn't too sure how well the parallex focusing would work on a medium format. Also, I haven't read too many reviews on the 7. I wonder if there a possibility of attatching a poloroid back on a Mamiya 7?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by snegron
    Thanks Troy! I hadn't thought about the Mamiya 7 mainly because I only used a rangefinder once many years ago and wasn't too sure how well the parallex focusing would work on a medium format. Also, I haven't read too many reviews on the 7. I wonder if there a possibility of attatching a poloroid back on a Mamiya 7?
    I have the Mamiya 7 and it has great lenses and the meter works very well. You can attach a polaroid back to it, but I haven't used or seen one. See http://www.photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=004Z14. My big problem with the camera is that it is a rangefinder and I can't use graduated filters. Of course I knew this when I bought it, but I wasn't expecting it to be so sharp that I would want to use it for lanscapes instead of the 4x5. The parallex correction seems to work well. The 150 doesn't focus close enough for tight portraits however.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Will you use the camera handheld or on a tripod? If it's the latter I would suggest the RZ.

Also, if you're at a wedding and time is tight, you'd be better off with a whole stack of ready 120, or 220, film backs ready to go onto the RZ.

Changing film for a Pentax isn't as quick. If you're someone like Bruce Weber you get around this problem by owning literally dozens of P67s and having a gang of assistants.

I've owned both but now use just the RZ which I love and this is my suggestion for you.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    having only held a pentax 67 once I'm probably not the best person to provide a comparison, but I will say that I love my RZ ... (;

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have used both a couple of times.

The Pentax 67 is great because it handles like an ordinary 35mm SLR. But on a tripod the Mamiya is an absolute winner.
    I have no real opinion on the lenses as I found both Pentax and Mamiya sharp and great.
    The mirror on the Pentax really knocks it out of your hands (huge recoil), so the Mamiya is my winner.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't own either, but have had a lot of time with both, and can say this much: the Pentax is great, has wonderful glass, and is a very charming camera. But other than handholding, I can't think of anything the RB67 won't do better or as well. And with a camera as big as the pentax, you really don't want to be holding it on its side too long - so while the Mamiya is heavier (I think, at least...), the rotating back more than makes up for it, in my humble opinion. You will also find that with its bellows, it can be very flexible for close up and macro work. I came by these realizations when a friend of mine had his Pentax stolen (in Prague of all places!) and decided to replace it with a Mamiya - he has been quite happy with his choice. He nor I knock the Pentax - we both loved it, but it was more of a "character", you kind of loved it for its quirks, while the Mamiya just kind of rises to all challanges and quietly does what you ask. The Pentax did nothing quietly
    We rested in on a car roof once, and I swear we found a little knick in the paint after the mirror recoiled. Perhaps it was when put the camera down - not a 100% sure, but it would not surprise me if it moved enough from the recoil. On thing I find with the Mamiya is the lack of a "B" setting is a bit of a hassle for long exposures at night - but you just use a cap and live with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an RB67 and a Pentax 67II. I much prefer the latter for normal use as it's faster to use and has faster shutter speeds. However, I keep the Mammy for close up work (where its bellows focusing is great) and for times when I might need to change film mid roll (the Pentax does not have interchangable backs). As ever, it's horses for courses. If you shoot much in low light, the mammy's mirror lock up, combined with the leaf shutter can also be very useful (I agree with modophoto the Pentax focal plane shutter still jolts a bit even with the mirror up) and the Mammy will sync with flash at any speed.

David

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You know, I guess I have so rarely needed faster speeds that I forgot about the very valid point David makes - the Pentax can go faster. I just found (there was a thread on this recently if I recall) that I rarely need anything above the Mamiya's capabilities - even when shooting other formats. Then again, I shoot mainly on the lower limit - either as slow as I can go, wide open, in available light - or from a tripod. In my case the adventage in speed is purely academic - but you definitely have to examine your shooting habits. I found that coming from 35mm I really went through a "Where did all the light go!" shock - but it should not be an issue coming from 645, I think.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin