Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,589   Posts: 1,545,914   Online: 1222

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Hasselblad CFE 80 2.8 - bokehh

Hi, I have bought a Hasselblad 501 kit (with cfe 80 2.8) - and I must say that I am disappointed regarding the lens. The bokeh is not nice. I have developed one film taken with the camera/lens. All pictures were taken wide open (2.8) in grey weather. There is especially one picture where the focus is at apprx 1 meter and the grey sky is seen through a tree that is ugly (the rest are actually quite nice). The other lenses I have are: konica hexanon K(M?)-50 2.0 (leica mount), mamiya 645 80 2.8, old large-format lens by schneider, 50s fold camera by leitz (80mm) and a canon FD 50 1.4. If I were to rate these based on this film alone, konica would be on the the top and hasselblad and the old canon on the bottom. Have others experienced the same?
    I guess I will have to test the lens a bit more - but it would be great to get some feedback. All the reviews I have seen regarding this lens has been good - so I hope it was just a bad bokeh situation.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think Bokeh might be one of those taste situations. I honestly never considered bokeh, but reading this has made think about it a bit more. I some cases I love the 'sharp' bokeh patterns, in others I don't and would prefer a bit more 'fuzziness'.

Can you attach a representative picture for us to see what it is you don't like. I'm quite curious. Thanks.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Christian Hilmersen
    Hi, I have bought a Hasselblad 501 kit (with cfe 80 2.8) - and I must say that I am disappointed regarding the lens. The bokeh is not nice. I have developed one film taken with the camera/lens. All pictures were taken wide open (2.8) in grey weather. There is especially one picture where the focus is at apprx 1 meter and the grey sky is seen through a tree that is ugly (the rest are actually quite nice).
    You take 12 pictures, of which one us ughly and 11 are "quite nice" and you say you are disappointed?

Seriously, pictures would help a great deal. Can you scan some?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I see that my post might have been premature.... I will see if I can post an example. But, before I do that I will describe the bokeh. For larger surfaces it seems fine - they get a halo that can be quite pleasing (but "un-natural"). For the picture in question it seem like all the little leaves gets a halo, and it just does not look "natural". Hope I can learn to appreciate it. As for bokeh, I did not really notice it till I bought a Hexar RF with a Hexanon 50 f2 - outstanding bokeh IMO.
    Last edited by Christian Hilmersen; 08-05-2005 at 07:52 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Fixed "stange" sentence

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A brief experience with the standard 80/2.8 Planar on a Rollei SL66 left me likewise disappointed with the rendition of out-of-focus areas. The OOF highlights were too "geometric," their shape resembled the hexagonal aperture of the lens, and OOF areas with lots of visual activity (I remember in particular a thin-DOF photo of some fallen leaves) had a very jarring feel. On the other hand, the in-focus areas on this lens were spectacular, and on most photos that's what really mattered!

So perhaps there's something about the 80mm Planar formulation that causes a distinctive bokeh signature across manufacturers implementations of this lens.

--Philip.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I love my 80mm CF; best lens I ever used, and I almost always use a wide aperature. I've always loved how out-of-focus areas turn out.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    MF leaf shutter lenses usually have a five-bladed aperture. If the lens then has neutral bokeh (as Ken Rockwell defines it on his web site), then out-of-focus highlights show up as well defined pentagons. Some like it or don't mind. Like you, I don't like it.

Konica could afford to make a more rounded aperture on your 50 because as a rangefinder lens, it doesn't have to stop down just before exposure.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

And here is a crop of the tree

Link to technical gallery
    This is a crop of the picture. Actually me nerves are a bit calmer now...but I will avoid motives like this,

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Christian,

The picture is pretty small in size and I can't see the poor bokeh you are not liking. Any chance to post a larger size image? Sorry.

As it is though, in this small size, I kind of like it.

Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Well, I actually agree with you...it works when the image is small, and I also think I was a bit too quick to judge.... (I will come back to this subject...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin