Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,299   Online: 902

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a couple of the Metz 45 CL-4 potato-mashers, too. I'm not aware of any bracket that is more convenient than the one supplied. The idea, I think, is that you're supposed to hold the whole rig by the flash handle. Operating the camera with only one hand, however, is a pain.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Doesn't the camera slide on the bracket? I don't remember if either of mine are using factory brackets or not but on the bracket I have you can slide the camera closer/farther from the flash.

It's actually not bad if your camera has a grip on the other side. I thought it would turn into an even bigger monster but at least with my cameras [not blads] it's possible to hold the flash with one hand the grip with the other.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick Zentena
    Doesn't the camera slide on the bracket? I don't remember if either of mine are using factory brackets or not but on the bracket I have you can slide the camera closer/farther from the flash.
    The bracket that comes with the Metz mounts the flash to the side of the camera. Some people [like me] would rather mount the 45-CL4 above the lens and use one of these Stroboframe units.

http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct...temnum=300-800

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan
    The bracket that comes with the Metz mounts the flash to the side of the camera. Some people [like me] would rather mount the 45-CL4 above the lens and use one of these Stroboframe units.

http://www.tiffen.com/displayproduct...temnum=300-800
    If you have a Hasselblad flash grip (readily available on eBay for <$100 if you don't - i.e. ), you can get a Pro Systems adaptor that will allow you to mount your Metz flash above the lens --> Like this

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Dyck
    If you have a Hasselblad flash grip (readily available on eBay for <$100 if you don't - i.e. ), you can get a Pro Systems adaptor that will allow you to mount your Metz flash above the lens --> Like this
    Ha!
    And I guess I would need to be careful when passing under a doorway or a bridge! I wouldn't really want for that heavy thing to hung above my head like that. The whole point of looking for a shorter adapter was so the flash would sit closer to the camera and make the system a bit more compact.
    Well, if I am going to use a flash I wouldn't be very inconspicious any way!

Thanks for the replies though
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Arigam,
    The advantage to a top mount is the shadows will look more natural.
    With a side mount flash you will usually get shadows to the side & behind the subject. With a top mount flash the shadow is pushed down, behind the subject.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    John is right the farther off the camera you get the flash the more natural the light becomes and if shooting color the chance of "red eye" decreases.

lee\c
    Last edited by lee; 10-31-2005 at 10:23 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you guys, you are quite right, but I use the waist level finder and that position of the flash would make it impossible to use. Plus since it has a built in long handle and is not a compact flashgun as the typical one found in 35mm SLRs, I think it would be too bulky to position that way.
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ari
    I believe Stroboframe has a bracket available that will put the flash over the camera and forward of the waist level finder. I'm working on memory for this so don't be surprised if I'm wrong.

Shooter
    Medium Format

D40 or Metz

I use both a D40 (yes made by Sunpak per the made in Japan stamp on it) and a Metz CL-4.

I mainly use the D40 because of the LIGHT - the quality is superb being a "bare bulb" type, so its a different unit to the Metz thyristor head, which sufferes from the usual flash issues. The circular reflector gives perfectly even coverage over the square frame.

The D40 as others said sits superbly on top of a prism finder avove the lens axis. It is limited to TTL mose as it has no manual or aperture modes. use the 503 flash/film speed dial to control exposure compensation.

I occasionally use the Metz which has good coverage of the 2quare fram if you use the wide angle diffuser or a StoFen diffuser (the latter is best).

BUT, both suffer from limited guide number / power. The ideal unit might be one of those neat Quantum units with bare bulb and rechargable Turbo batteries - big bucks; but delivers superb light and controls.

So, the optimal set up is a D40 (for convenience) plus (for more power) a Quantum.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin