Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,152   Online: 885

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Flash for Hasselblad 503CW

What would be a good flash for the Hasselblad 503CW that operates in TTL mode? I am between Hasselblad's own D40 and Metz's Mecablitz 60 CT-4.
    I have no need for all the special functions of the Mecablitz as the 503CW has a simple TTL sensor, but it looks more powerful (I am not sure of the power of the D40) and more versatile than the Hasselblad one.
    What do you think?
    aristotelis grammatikakis
    www.arigram.gr
    Real photographs, created in camera, 100% organic,
    no digital additives and shit

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    I have no need for all the special functions of the Mecablitz as the 503CW has a simple TTL sensor,

What special functions? For TTL basically all Metz flashes need a module that goes between the flash and the camera. The module then connects to the camera TTL sensor. You need to connect the flash to the camera for TTL to work.

The nice thing about the Metz line is you can share modules with any other flash that uses the SCA type modules. Or you can use the flash with other cameras by just getting a matching module. I've got a couple of Metz 45s. By just changing the cable/module the same flash works with all my cameras. It's great.

I've got this wierd memory that Metz makes Hasselblad flashes. Maybe I'm dreaming.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by arigram
    What would be a good flash for the Hasselblad 503CW that operates in TTL mode? I am between Hasselblad's own D40 and Metz's Mecablitz 60 CT-4.
    I have no need for all the special functions of the Mecablitz as the 503CW has a simple TTL sensor, but it looks more powerful (I am not sure of the power of the D40) and more versatile than the Hasselblad one.
    What do you think?
    I've heard nothing but bad things about the Hasselblad flash. It seems to be the one dog in their lineup. I'd go with the Metz.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thank you both.
    I think Sunpak makes the D40.
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Also look at the Sunpak 120J TTL. I have this flash and bought it over the others primarily for its value. It offers manual as well several TTL/Auto modes that the D-40 does not. It is also 60% of the cost of the D-40.

Regrds, Art.
    Visit my website at www.ArtLiem.com
    or my online portfolios at APUG and ModelMayhem

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I concur about going with the Metz. Great products and they've built versatility into their implementation of the SCA standards, just as it was intended.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    35mm
    Now for something completely different:

I am not much In favor of TTL anything except viewing...although TTL manual can be useful.

Here is an approach that works very nicely for me.
    For sake of argument I am using, hypothetically, a Hasselblad and say Fuji Asa 160 color negative. I have come to the conclusion that for my lenses f8 is the best compromise. I choose a flash that has a power variator from full power to 1/16 or less. Using a flash meter I make note of the power position that will produce F8 at the following distances and mark it.
    1 meter
    1.4 meters
    2 meters
    2.8 meters
    4 meters
    5.6 meters
    8 meters.

Of course this would require a flash that had a reliable guide number of 64 in meters with asa 160 film under average conditions.

I know a given photo will be taken a 2 meters. I move my power level to the 2 meter position and set my camera lens at 2 meters. I approach my subject turn around and step back approximaley 2 and 1/3 steps. I put the camera to my eye and rock back and forth on my feet until I find the sharpest focus.
    I take the photo. The focus is not touched and the f stop remains at f8. This will work more reliably and faster than fiddling with the focus on the camera.

I am outside. I am going to take a photo where I wish the flash to fill 1.5 stops less than the ambient light. It is a group shot being taken a 4 meters.
    I set my focus to 4 meters. I set my flash variator at a distance midway between the 2.8 meter mark and the 2 meter mark. I set the shutter to an appropriate speed. I approach my subject, turn and take 4 and 2/3 steps back. Lift the camera to my eye, rock on my feet to get the appropriate focus and shoot.

This technique is like shooting fish in a barrel. You will get very uniform exposures. You will get nice sharp focus. You will be able to work quickly.
    It requires a bit of practice and knowing what you are doing but it is really slick and I highly recommend it to you.
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I just got the Metz 45 CL-4.
    My God, the thing is a monster! Lotsa bigger than what I expected it to be!
    I guess I am used to smaller 35mm flashguns...

Anyway, my question...
    The bracket that comes with the flash is too wide for my Hasselblad as it seems
    it was designed for cameras that run parallel to it. It makes handholding the camera uncomfortable.
    Does Metz make a smaller bracket I can use for?
    www.arigram.gr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The bottom part? They have a plate for square format cameras. But it's wider. Maybe you've got that one already?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Eh, no, I am talking about the bracket that goes under the camera and holds the flash.
    www.arigram.gr

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin