Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,636   Online: 1157

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I haven't had any problems with my Zenobia - or any other MF folder for that matter. They're all very capable little things, and tend to l-a-s-t long and work well. My one 35mm folder (Welta Welti) has a problem with the film advance after 50 years of heavy use, and the rollfilm back for my 6.5x9cm plate camera has serious light leaks.

Don't worry about the bellows if they're tight.

But the Zenobia? Picked it up, loaded a film, shot, developed, and all was fine.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    These days when I feel it coming on, I lie down until it passes. For me, if not for thee, accumulating gear gets in the way of taking pictures.
    Not for me. Accumulating gear increases the likelihood that *at least one* of these ancient junkers and former classics will be working and loaded when the aliens land in my front yard...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls
    Not for me. Accumulating gear increases the likelihood that *at least one* of these ancient junkers and former classics will be working and loaded when the aliens land in my front yard...
    That's a damn good excu....err... reason, yeah, that's it... a damn good REASON to keep buying more stuff!

Thanks for the line I can use on SWMBO!
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lessee now, Bob.

You live in NJ. NJ is infested with aliens, some of them illegal. Many are Mexicans working on farms and for lawn services. Do you photograph them?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have 3 folders, An Ensign Selfix 820 that needs a shutter CLA,
    a Ziess Ercona that does 6x6 & 6x9 (Can't recall the model number) and an Agfa Super Solinette II 35mm. The last two work great and they are such *fun* to use.

They are so cheap on the used market here in OZ that I'd never pass one up that worked. I do see quite a few that are hopelessly knackered, but the working ones often go for 5-20 USD...

Love those folders . . .
    Last edited by Glenn Mathison; 08-14-2005 at 09:55 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: spelling

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    Lessee now, Bob.

You live in NJ. NJ is infested with aliens, some of them illegal. Many are Mexicans working on farms and for lawn services. Do you photograph them?
    I beg to differ...

Most of the aliens around here (at least this time of year), are those from the five boroughs of NYC who invade the NJ Shore via the Garden State Parkway.

hehehe
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobfowler
    This afternoon, I dusted off my Zeiss 521/16 and shot a roll of J&C Pro 100 at my favorite film/camera testing haunt - the local fishing marina. I just souped the negs in Diafine - WOW!!! I had forgotten how great this little beastie really is!

This evening, Liz and I are off to Sandy hook with my new-to-me Zenobia C1 folder (a 645). I'll be posting pix soon!

Oh Yeah, I have a Balda Super Pontura, 6X9/645, A Franka Solida III 6x6, several older Kodaks but my joy is a 1917 Kodak 116 format that I tweaked enough to use 120. It's a 6x12 Yikes!

Here's a recent shot I took of my mom (a work in progress), it's a crop from the Balda, taken with Pan-F. This is kind of cool because she has been a photo retoucher all her working life, waaaaay before PS. In fact she had a chance to learn PS but she passed on it preferring oil, watercolor, and pencils.

I thought it was neat to shoot her with a Camera made in 1938. She may have, and probably did, work on negs from a Balda back then.

Cheers

Jules
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails MiMi Crop_1_small Web.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobfowler
    I beg to differ...

Most of the aliens around here (at least this time of year), are those from the five boroughs of NYC who invade the NJ Shore via the Garden State Parkway.

hehehe
    Don't forget the southern invasion from Philly. Doesn't leave much shore left for NJ folk

The Zeiss 521/16 was my first 'serious' camera - my father picked it up in Italy in 1948. When the instamatic didn't cut it anymore, it became mine. It doesn't get much better than zone focus and sunny f/16! It's a great little camera.
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    [QUOTE=jking]Don't forget the southern invasion from Philly. Doesn't leave much shore left for NJ folk

(The former Delawarean pipes up) The Delaware beaches are cleaner and you don't have to pay to go on them, but they don't have all that 'Eddie and the Cruisers' and Brruuuuce atmosphere. We ended up with 'taurriss' from Baltimore and DC. Worse than black flies in New Hampshire. However, in the off season, the coast from Lewes/ Cape Henlopen all the way down through Maryland was my favorite haunt with a camera.

I had a Voigtlander Bessa I (?) - can't remember the lens, but it was a post-war model. Absolutely loved Ilford SFX through it - red filter or not. It had the 6x 4.5 mask, but I never used it.

Funny, it just reminded me - I brought a couple of rolls of 120 SFX with me, and they've been sitting in a box undisturbed for two years. I'll have to put them through the mighty Zeiss 207/1 with the roll film adapter. Or buy another Bessa.
    The Kiev 88: Mamiya's key to success in Ukraine.

Photography without film is like Macroeconomics without reading goat entrails, and look at the mess that got us into.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=JiminKyiv]
    Quote Originally Posted by jking
    Don't forget the southern invasion from Philly. Doesn't leave much shore left for NJ folk

(The former Delawarean pipes up) The Delaware beaches are cleaner and you don't have to pay to go on them, but they don't have all that 'Eddie and the Cruisers' and Brruuuuce atmosphere. We ended up with 'taurriss' from Baltimore and DC. Worse than black flies in New Hampshire. However, in the off season, the coast from Lewes/ Cape Henlopen all the way down through Maryland was my favorite haunt with a camera.
    Despite having spent my teenage years careening down the GSP in poor excuses for cars, cranking Bruuuce, going to the 'shore', I have to agree that the Deleware beaches are also wonderful. First time my kids realized that oceans could be warm was at Rehoboth Beach (N of Cape Cod, the ocean gets cold!) Further south, the lower outer banks is not too shabby either.

One of the great things about going to the ocean with my family is the ability to get out early with camera and tripod, and try to capture some of the glory of a sunrise on the beach.

Back to folders, any recommendations for someone who does a good job overhauling folders? My favorite Ikonta B has bellows leaks, and the shutter is extermely sticky. I'd love to get it in shooting shape again.
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin