Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,926   Posts: 1,585,078   Online: 872

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Jonathan,

Funny, but I fell in love with the New England coast when I lived in Nashua and Hudson in the '90s. RI was nice, but life seemed to begin at York Harbor. Lobster rolls - haven't had one in years. Still, Rye Beach isn't quite the same as Sea Isle City for cruising. I know Rehoboth Beach pretty well, but preferred Cape Henlopen State Park - there's a 30' sand dune with a paved road on it! On a clear day, you can see New Jersey (sounds like a song), and it has to be the highest point for 20 miles.

Wish I knew someone in NNE who could work on the folder for you.
    The Kiev 88: Mamiya's key to success in Ukraine.

Photography without film is like Macroeconomics without reading goat entrails, and look at the mess that got us into.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=jking]
    Quote Originally Posted by JiminKyiv

...Back to folders, any recommendations for someone who does a good job overhauling folders? My favorite Ikonta B has bellows leaks, and the shutter is extermely sticky. I'd love to get it in shooting shape again.
    Try Jurgen Kreckel at: http://www.certo6.com/

Jurgen can replace the bellows and CLA the shutter, etc. on your Ikonta B. He does excellent work.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another vote for Jurgen Kreckel, aka certo6. I've had three folders in to him for shutter and general CLA, and two of them got new bellows. Fine work, fast turn around, and very reasonable prices. He can also fancy it up for you with colors on the bellows and replacement cover leather, but I wouldn't do that to an Ikonta B.

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Tom Hoskinson]
    Quote Originally Posted by jking

Jurgen can replace the bellows and CLA the shutter, etc. on your Ikonta B. He does excellent work.

Thanks Tom. I checked out his site and will get in contact with him.

Jon
    Jonathan
    -----------------------------------------------

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't forget the southern invasion from Philly. Doesn't leave much shore left for NJ folk
    You guys get the chemical swamps of Bayonne and Jersy City.

I prefer the beaches of Southern Delaware myself. Rehobeth on south to the Maryland line is an awfully nice place. And the seafood is much better.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    35mm
    [QUOTE=Tom Hoskinson]

It would appear so.
    I purchased a camera from him. When it arrived, I was thrilled; it looked beautiful, worked smoothly; then I held it up to my eye. The viewfinder was all brown with cigarette (?) smoke(hard to focus), and the whole camera smelled of smoke. Neither of these conditions were mentioned in his auction, which I find is unusual. Most sellers will mention smoke in an auction.
    He also asserts that "99.999"of Agfa Isolettes require a new bellows. I purchased an Isolette III(not from him) , and the bellows are as tight as a drum, takes great pictures, no light leaks. Wow, I must be lucky, for once.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Interesting, I am quite allergic to all forms of tobacco - including smoke. I have had 3 cameras repaired by Jurgen, including a bellows replacement on a Super Isolette. No signs of tobacco smoke on any of them.

I have several Agfa Isolettes - most of them had (or still have) holes in the bellows.
    Tom Hoskinson

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think what mirrorslap is saying is that while Jurgen serviced the shutter and possibly replaced the bellows on the camera, he didn't open and clean the viewfinder or clean/replace the body covering, which would have removed the smell...

I've heard a couple similar things about Jurgen in the last few months -- I have to wonder if a) he isn't getting swamped or trying to move more volume to keep up his income, or b) he might be a smoker himself and simply unable to notice the smell on a camera (though that doesn't explain the smoke contaminated viewfinder). If true, it'd be a shame to see such a careful, gifted worker letting down his standards in order to make a living...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Points well taken, Donald.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    35mm
    Yes, thanks Donald. I don't want to "down" Mr. Kroeckel, actually; in fact , he is responsible for my newfound appreciation for folding cameras of the '50s. I think he knows his business, and does a great job of restoring cameras.
    I guess I was just disappointed to find the camera in such a state - the smoke film is bad enough to make the rangefinder hard to use; after seeing all the great pictures of Jurgen's restorations, I was dismayed that the camera I have was "not 100%." (I mean within the limits of possibility.)
    The camera takes great pictures, and I love to use it. I would still recommend his work to anyone wanting to get into folders; I just wouldn't "unconditionally" recommend him, if you know what I mean.
    If you have a folder that needs work, DO send it to Jurgen, I do not think that you will be sorry; just be appraised of the possibilities.
    The situation is similar to buying something on ebay - if a seller has 100 feedbacks, and 95 of them are positive, and 5 are negative (and dispersed over time), should you buy something from that seller? Yes- it will probably be OK, BUT you may get something else. You pays your money...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin