Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,963   Online: 1019

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

heck of a deal on a Mamiya 645Pro - ???'s

Hi all Not to brag (ok, maybe a little) but I got a heck of a deal on a Mamiya 645Pro (mint!) and the beast came with an 80mm, a 150mm, a 55mm, as well as a Russian 30mm (it's huge!). Add to that a metered prism (not the kind with spot capability), a left hand grip, a power drive grip, a back with a 120 insert plus a 220 insert (with several boxes of expired 220 film to play with) and a cable release thing. I also got a Lindahl bellows type hood with some filters and some vignette dealies which I might not use but it was part of the deal. I'm not gonna tell you what I paid for this package because I don't want you to cry. It was a steal.

So... now I have some questions. I would like to get a polaroid back for it but in looking at KEH's offerings, I'm not sure which model and they don't specify what type of (polaroid) film they use. Some help there would be appreciated.

The left hand grip is pretty neat but I wonder if there is a hand strap available for the power grip? If so, where might I get one?

And finally, to those of you who are doing any kind of macro work with your 645Pro, what sort of advice can you offer? Do you like the extension tubes? Are the auto-bellows worth it? What about macro lenses?

I know, I've asked many questions but this outfit is just begging to be put to work. It's so sleek and fine... Working with it will be a joy, I'm sure.

Thanks,
    Ellen

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Digidurst
    Hi all Not to brag (ok, maybe a little) but I got a heck of a deal on a Mamiya 645Pro (mint!) and the beast came with an 80mm, a 150mm, a 55mm, as well as a Russian 30mm (it's huge!). Add to that a metered prism (not the kind with spot capability), a left hand grip, a power drive grip, a back with a 120 insert plus a 220 insert (with several boxes of expired 220 film to play with) and a cable release thing. I also got a Lindahl bellows type hood with some filters and some vignette dealies which I might not use but it was part of the deal. I'm not gonna tell you what I paid for this package because I don't want you to cry. It was a steal.

I know, I've asked many questions but this outfit is just begging to be put to work. It's so sleek and fine... Working with it will be a joy, I'm sure.

Thanks,
    Ellen
    Now, Ellen, you know you really want to tell us what you paid for this outfit!

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

So... now I have some questions. I would like to get a polaroid back for it but in looking at KEH's offerings, I'm not sure which model and they don't specify what type of (polaroid) film they use. Some help there would be appreciated.

The left hand grip is pretty neat but I wonder if there is a hand strap available for the power grip? If so, where might I get one?

And finally, to those of you who are doing any kind of macro work with your 645Pro, what sort of advice can you offer? Do you like the extension tubes? Are the auto-bellows worth it? What about macro lenses?

Thanks,
    Ellen
    Any of the polaroid backs will work. They all take basic 600 series pack film. (655, 654, 669, etc) Also, speaking of a polaroid back, you will need the tripod adapter if you wish to use the polaroid back on a tripod, the back extends down below the bottom of the camera and gets in the way of the tripod base unless you have this item.

There is a shorty strap available that I have for my Super. The only problem I have is that with a polaroid back it doesn't fit, the back gets in the way. The strap itself fits on the right hand lug and kind of goes around the wrist. It helps keep the camera in your hand, but it does not function the same as the strap on the left hand grip does.

As for the macro question, I have only done a little. I have a number three tube which gives me pretty close focus, but I am not a huge macro shooter. One thing about the lenses, however, is that you might want a number one tube to shoot portraits with the 150mm lens. It doesn't focus quite closely enough to do a tight head and shoulders.

Have fun!

Paul.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What! No Waist level finder!!!!

Just kidding, it could have been there and did not see it, with all the goodies you described. Kept thinking about a Super to go with the 645M I have, but then these cool LF cameras kept coming up and well, they were so much less than the Super's I was looking at....but something tells me...if I only knew what you got yours for....come on give us a hint.

And Congratulations.....Have I mentioned how small 4x5 looks today...it really does seem small.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format

Thanks,
    Ellen
    Hi Ellen,
    I have a 645 AFD with the 45mm Hartblei Super Rotater and it's a really good lens, sharp, sharp, sharp, battleship size, heavy, heavy, heavy, (No jiggling). You go girl.

Jules

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Ellen,

About Polaroid backs and Medium Format...
    I almost purchased one of those backs for my RB-67 but was able to borrow one from a friend first and I'm glad I did. After about two packs of Polaroids and three rolls of film I realized I didn't need it anymore. I was shooting with one monolight and metering in my studio and everything just sort of gelled. I pretty much know what I'm going to get now and felt like that back was just a waste of money.

Shooting with the 4x5 is the exact opposite.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Best use of the back for me is polaroid 665 B&W negs, cleared in the field..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tee hee hee... I'll say this much; The camera set me back a pretty penny but it was still a healthy amount shy of a grand. My friend who sold it to me was looking for someone who would give his "baby" a good home I think.

Thanks for the info everyone! Especially the heads-up about the tripod adapter with the poly back. Sure would have peeved me to discover that little tidbit in the field. Oh and I'm not using polaroids to check exposure; I'm interested in playing with some emulsion lift montages.

So I guess now I'm looking for some ext. tubes. Anybody got any they no longer use?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Oh and I'm not using polaroids to check exposure; I'm interested in playing with some emulsion lift montages.
    Well that's a different ball game altogether
    I just burned through two boxes of type 59 and made image transfers and emulsions lifts till I was blue in the face. It was more fun than I'd had in a long time. I even got my wife to try it and she loved it. There's hope for her yet!

Alan.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have another question... I have the AE finder. Can anyone tell me what sort of metering is going on? And to those of you who also use the Mamiya Pro/ProTL, what is your favorite prism/finder? Any of you using the pro version that offers spot metering? If so, do you like it? Think it's worth the expense?

Sure am enjoying getting to know my new pal Not much time to shoot because I'm so busy lately but what little I've done has been fun. Hopefully, I'll be able to develop my first roll this weekend (I hope, I hope, I hope!)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin