Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,606   Online: 770

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fun Cheap TLR's

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can find a Mamiya C2 or C22 within your price range this camera offers the option of interchangeable lenses. The C2 usually sells for less than the more popular C3's.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a Flexaret VII -- mine was a gift from my Czech father-in-law but I think they are fairly easy to get hold of. I like it -- picture quality is decent and it's a nice camera to use.

I also have a Lubitel which, despite it's flaws, I've had excellent results from. I've had more 'keepers' per roll from that camera than any other I own.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm very happy with my Argoflex EF. Has a hot shoe (M synch, though that can be changed if you have the shutter open), press shutter (no separate cocking step), pretty decent ground glass (without Fresnel, though, and only f/4.5 viewing lens, so fairly dim), and the lens isn't bad as triplets go. You can get them in reasonably working condition for around $20 plus shipping, or in "fix it yourself" condition at yard sale prices, though they aren't as common as all that. The camera is originally 620, but conversion to 120 is very simple, and no trimming or 620 takeup spool required once converted.

Another very, very nice TLR that can be had in this price range (if you're willing and able to clean the shutter yourself, and don't mind respooling or trimming 120 rolls for a 620 camera) is the Kodak Reflex II -- the Anastar lens is simply magnificent, and this model claims the world's first Fresnel viewer, as well as an accurate and robust frame counter (you can shoot off a whole roll without taking your eyes off the finder). The flash synch on this model is X with a settable M delay, though it has an ASA (Kodak style) connector instead of a PC socket -- adapters are available, I see them on eBay routinely for about $20.

Both of these are metal bodies, coated lenses, and were robustly made; the Argoflex was a high-end consumer camera while the Kodak was intended to compete with the Rolleiflex (and cost as much as a good used car when new).
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ricoh TLR's - cheap and excellent

see

http:/members.aol.com/dcolucci/tlr.htm

Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jon
    The Yashicamat EM and LM are great, and if you can get a 124/124g for cheap then go for it.

If you want to go reaaaallyy cheap then you could even play around with a Lubitel. Ah bakelite!
    Can you tell me anything about the meters on the LM?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    Check out this site for a basic overview of the Yashica TLRs:

http://www.williamsphotographic.com/yashica.html

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Images
    My first TLR was a Yashica A with a Yashikor lens which I bought for $38 at a local used camera shop about three years ago. It takes nice sharp pictures as long as you keep it stopped down to f8 or more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    The meter on my LM works reasonably well and agrees with my handheld meter to within a 1/2 stop or so. Not so good in poor light of course. I never bother with the internal meter as I always have the handheld meter with me.

hth.

Glenn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mcgrattan
    ...I also have a Lubitel which, despite it's flaws, I've had excellent results from. I've had more 'keepers' per roll from that camera than any other I own.
    Very interesting - I found the same results with mine! I love my Lubitel, and enjoy it very much, but I doubt its what most people consider "fun" - mine kicks my ass before it lets me take any pictures - but that is why, perhaps, I get so many good ones, the little TLR makes me work for them!

I have found, though, that while sharp - the lens will show a tiny bit of fall off or vignetting towards the corners (very small) if you print the full square neg. Price can't be beat!

Having said that - I have a sentimental attachment to mine - if not for that, I think I would definitely look elsewhere for a TLR... you can just get so much more camera for so little a premium in price.

PS - If anyone is interested in a "sentimental attachment" for their Lubitel, sendme $29.99 + shipping and handling.... - it may be the best attachment you buy!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I'd like to see some Lubitel pictures. Any around here?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin