Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,637   Posts: 1,668,416   Online: 868

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fun Cheap TLR's

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Minolta Autocord - available for around $100, just make sure the focus lever is intact.

If you don't mind futzing with 620 film, the Kodak Reflex with Anastar lens can be a good one for $40 or less.

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Be sure the get the Relfex II (or at a minimum, the Reflex IA) with Anastar. The original Kodak Reflex mostly had the Anason (or Kodak Anastigmat), a good quality triplet but nothing special; in addition, the original Reflex didn't have the Fresnel focus screen and lacks the frame counter. The 1A was a factory upgrade of the Reflex that added the Fresnel, plus made a minor change in the supply spool chamber. The Reflex II was the real jewel -- all of these had the Anastar from the factory (some of eh earliest had the same glass marked Anastigmat Special) though it's surely possible that lenses have been swapped in the intervening fifty-plus years. The Reflex II has the frame counter, of course, and also a shutter with X synch and 1/300 top speed (the Reflex had M synch only, AFAIK, and 1/200).

The differential in price is only about $20, generally, and the Reflex II is a much nicer camera to use. I've got two, though one has a broken viewing mirror -- I'll get that fixed after a while...
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The first 'good' camera I ever used was the high school's Yashica A back in the early 60's, and I've had a soft spot for Yashica's ever since.

Recently purchased a Yashicamat LM for $50 -- not mint, but in good user condition. Lotsa bang for the buck!

Gene

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Donald Qualls View Post
    I'm very happy with my Argoflex EF. Has a hot shoe (M synch, though that can be changed if you have the shutter open), press shutter (no separate cocking step), pretty decent ground glass (without Fresnel, though, and only f/4.5 viewing lens, so fairly dim), and the lens isn't bad as triplets go. You can get them in reasonably working condition for around $20 plus shipping, or in "fix it yourself" condition at yard sale prices, though they aren't as common as all that. The camera is originally 620, but conversion to 120 is very simple, and no trimming or 620 takeup spool required once converted.

Another very, very nice TLR that can be had in this price range (if you're willing and able to clean the shutter yourself, and don't mind respooling or trimming 120 rolls for a 620 camera) is the Kodak Reflex II -- the Anastar lens is simply magnificent, and this model claims the world's first Fresnel viewer, as well as an accurate and robust frame counter (you can shoot off a whole roll without taking your eyes off the finder). The flash synch on this model is X with a settable M delay, though it has an ASA (Kodak style) connector instead of a PC socket -- adapters are available, I see them on eBay routinely for about $20.

Both of these are metal bodies, coated lenses, and were robustly made; the Argoflex was a high-end consumer camera while the Kodak was intended to compete with the Rolleiflex (and cost as much as a good used car when new).
    I thought I was the only one who likes the lowly Argoflex EF. Ill say one thing. They are the easiest cameras to overhaul and the they are surprisingly sharp.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Firing up a thread untouched for 9 years!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Sintchak (rich815) View Post
    Firing up a thread untouched for 9 years!
    aint the internet great? Time stands still online. I love when I get a pm on a forum I havent checked for 5 years and then I answer back. ahahhahaha.

Shooter
    35mm
    The sad thing is the prices... I don't think we will see $50 Yashicas like we did 9 years ago.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ive got an Argoflex which is a model E I think...bakelite body. Needs an overhaul. Just finished an overhaul on an argus 40, which has a similar set of glass. I cant wait to shoot with it, it may become a favorite little tlr. I have a Ricohflex which I was a little disappointed with the vignetting I saw , even with the relatively fast lens. Too many cameras, too little time!
    "in an insane society, the sane man appears insane"

flickr stream: www.flickr.com/photos/20217676@N08/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider View Post
    I've see em priced as high as $150 or more. You got a pretty good deal if it as clean.
    I paid about $140 best I recall for my 124 non-G (more rare since fewer were made, the differences are more chrome, less black on the non-G, gold plated flash synch contacts on the G (thus the G) and reportedly different wind gears that may actually be more durable on the non-G. They certainly sound different on winding.)

Maybe more than you want but I like mine a lot. In fact I think of all my cameras I enjoy using it the most.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Ciro-flex is still pretty inexpensive. I found one recently for just about $40. Very basic mechanically, but the lenses and shutter are fine. The similar Graflex 22's now go for well over $100.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin