Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,441   Online: 965

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fun Cheap TLR's

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Fun Cheap TLR's

Does anyone have any rec's for a cheap and fun TLR around a $100 or under that is reasonably good. The Rollei prices are too much, and the 124G's although not as pricey I've have heard can have focus gear problems. I've a Ricoh VI but the lens is bad and I don't have anything that quite replaces it with a 1" rear diameter so time for something different.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by waynecrider
    Does anyone have any rec's for a cheap and fun TLR around a $100 or under that is reasonably good. The Rollei prices are too much, and the 124G's although not as pricey I've have heard can have focus gear problems. I've a Ricoh VI but the lens is bad and I don't have anything that quite replaces it with a 1" rear diameter so time for something different.

I picked up my 124G for $55 (on ebay) and its been fine. I did send it off the Mark Hama to be CLA'd (paid more for CLA than I did the camera). The lens on the Yashica is actually pretty good. I would look for one that looked like it did get used much (mine was mint without even scratches on the case).

Steve
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I Love my YashicaMat LM. Not as expensive as the 124 but my example takes great pics...

Glenn

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yashica– D (with Yashinon lens), EM, LM, 12, 24 (if you only want to shoot 220), or 124. I think the problems with the 124G are overstated. I love my 24. :-)
    JeffW.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by magic823
    I picked up my 124G for $55 (on ebay) and its been fine. I did send it off the Mark Hama to be CLA'd (paid more for CLA than I did the camera). The lens on the Yashica is actually pretty good. I would look for one that looked like it did get used much (mine was mint without even scratches on the case).

Steve
    I've see em priced as high as $150 or more. You got a pretty good deal if it as clean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep an eye on Rolleicords, I have had 3 all between $25-$125, usually with some filters an hoods thrown in. Currently, I am using a III and a V, lenses are the same as the 1950's flex's and I think the ergonomics are better, particularly with a flash bracket. Other good Japanese TLR's are the Yashicas (D, EM, LM, Mat, 12, 24, 124, 124G) are the best models and can consistently be found for under $100. Additionally, Minolta made the Autocords that are well respected but typically over $100.

jon
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Yashicamat EM and LM are great, and if you can get a 124/124g for cheap then go for it.

If you want to go reaaaallyy cheap then you could even play around with a Lubitel. Ah bakelite!
    Jon :: 18pct.com
    :: photoblog | tumblr | twitter | flickr | linkedin ::

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've see em priced as high as $150 or more. You got a pretty good deal if it as clean.
    It was mint. I would be surprised if more that 10 rolls when through it. There wasn't a scratch on the leather case (yeh, I got the case and the original manual with it).

The $55 was with shipping. The lister had put it on the wrong catagory and spelled Yashica wrong so the searchers missed it. Open bid was $75, but no one was bidding. I watched closely waiting to snipe, but noone did. I emailed him and offered $55 including shipping (figuring I would neg. up) and he took it. I'd been wanted one of them since its the camera I learned photography on.

Steve
    The soul never thinks without an image.
    - Aristotle

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What about a Graflex 22? Cheap, around $30 bucks on WePay. Came with 85mm and an odd 83mm lens of Graftar flavors. On low end models the shutter speeds are up to 200 and the later and upper end models have a top speed of 400 with full M-X sync. Remember, these were the Ciro-Flex name built in Columbus, Ohio before Graflex took them over. Good quality camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can find any of the Yashicas with a Yashinon lens for under $100, you might consider it. (Excepting possibly the Yashica 24, which only takes 220 film and will therefore limit your choice in film.) They're good cameras, but the earlier triplet lens (Yashikor) wasn't nearly the performer that the later Yashinon lens was. The Yashinon - or at least my copy of the Yashinon - is a pretty amazing lens capable of matching anything I've seen from a TLR.

You can find Yashica D bodies with either lens. I picked up a D in immaculate condition with a Yashinon lens for $35. A lot of people don't seem to realize that the D was available with the Yashinon later in the production run so they ignore the D...the number of bids on Yashica D cameras on eBay tends to stay low compared to the number of bids on later Yashica bodies.

A Rolleicord at the right price can also be a great bargain. You might need to be a little more patient though, as Rolleicords seem to go through cycles of popularity. If you can give yourself a little bit of time, you can find one that meets your budget.

Best of luck with your search for the right camera.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin