Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,558   Posts: 1,545,237   Online: 880

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Hasselblad 500 c/m

well, finally got my hasselblad and I coudlnt be happier. Its a 500C/M in amazingly good condition. I feel like a kid in a candy store....anyway, any users have tips or tricks, or just general info they'd like to share? All feedback would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,
    Mike

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Congrats Mike! For me, the waist level finder took a little getting used to, but I found that the more I used it, the easier it became. So practice practice practice! I find that I need to use a tripod, but I know that a lot of people have used this camera handheld with success. Here is a gallery that I much admire. The photographer uses a 501 c I believe.

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=338558
    Macy
    Just trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    No tricks, simplicity is the key!
    Start building your system according to your needs and have fun.
    Congrats for your new camera!

Have nice light!

André

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's awesome, Mike! A 'blad'... sigh! I don't need one but I sure want one - just because I've admired them for years! Anyway, I'm really happy for you and hope you're out taking terrific pictures with it!

LuvMyDogs, thanks for posting the link to that gallery - amazing stuff there!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

uh-oh

well, i just developed my first roll shot with the hassy, and I was a bit surprised.
    What I found was possibly a light leak, but im not sure.

What I found on the negs was odd. The edges of most all the frames appear to be much more dense, as if the edges of the film did not recieve the same exposure. Its much more evident on the frames that I used shutter speeds of 1 second or more. Both the density on the edges appears to be uniform on both sides

Now let me say that I was quite anxious to develop the film so im hoping it just careless developing. I use the "S" method in a small stainless steel tank.

Does this sound like a mechanical problem? Ive heard about film not being tightly spooled with hassy back, and since this is an older camera, i wouldnt rule out light leak.
    Ill try to post an example once the negs dry.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    One common cause of light leaks is worn out light seals in the film magazine. I've never done it, but these are apparently easily user raplaceable. Look on E-Bay for kits to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsalomon
    well, i just developed my first roll shot with the hassy, and I was a bit surprised.
    What I found was possibly a light leak, but im not sure.

Does this sound like a mechanical problem? Ive heard about film not being tightly spooled with hassy back, and since this is an older camera, i wouldnt rule out light leak.
    Ill try to post an example once the negs dry.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MostlyLF
    One common cause of light leaks is worn out light seals in the film magazine. I've never done it, but these are apparently easily user raplaceable. Look on E-Bay for kits to do it.
    Agreed. Look for seller "interslice" on ebay, he has the absolute BEST kits for the DIY light seal replacement job.

I've resealed my 3 FM series Nikon bodies, my F3, and 9 Bronica SQ backs with his kits. I've also used his seal material to improve the light sealing of a Toyo D45M and my Eastman #2 5X7 camera.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, congrats on the new-to-you Hassy! And welcome to the club!

I guess if you've shot at 1+ seconds, then you must have a tripod mount for it... that would have been one of my biggest suggestions. I have a quick-release tripod mount and it is the absolute best thing!

A couple other things (if you do not have them) would be a neck strap and an extra back.

Here's where you can get a free manual if you do not have one.
    http://www.urmonas.net/manuals/index.html
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin