Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,898   Posts: 1,584,344   Online: 781

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    oh, you didn't say anything about subjects that moved. Trees and rocks are easier to manage than children!

With exposures longer than 1 second, the film becomes less sensitive to the light and the exposure time therefore needs to be increased beyond what the meter indicates. Reciprocity charts are published for films that tell you how much to increase exposure. The increased exposure time tends to also increase contrast, so development time should be decreased to compensate.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole Boenig-McGrade
    Pamela, Neopan 1600 in Xtol can produce beautiful fine grain.
    Yep ! Exactly true. And both Neopan 1600 AND 400 make long scale negatives that have superb mid tone separation, and fine highlights.

Xtol, especially 1+2, ( with reduced agitation) can 'push' a couple stops without building contrast. Really. Really.

Sooner or later, though, you'll run out of light. A neat little 35 comes in handy...
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pamela,

Very fast lenses might sound like a good idea but, apart from brightening up the viewfinder, they may not be all that useful wide open because of how little will be in focus.

For low light in MF I usually use Portra 800 pushed two stops with my meter set at 1600 to 2000. I don't find grain to be a problem.

"Darn, when I first read about teleconverters I thought they went the opposite direction in f-stops..."
    As an aside, there are behind-the lens wide angle converters that do increase the speed of the lens, in the same way that a teleconverter makes your lens slower, but they are very very rare, have low conversion factors and a five-figure price tag.

Best,
    Helen

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin