Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,665   Posts: 1,481,689   Online: 723

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Mamiya 645 1000s

I have an opportunity to buy this unit, complete with a 45mm (not sure what model), an 80mm (1.9) and a 150mm (4.0), along with a flash and an extension tube. Does anyone have any experience with these lenses? My previous MF cameras have been TLR's so this is all new to me. Are there any other issues I should be aware of regarding this equipment? From what I've seen, the gear is in very good shape, and has been lightly used. Thanks in advance for the feedback. Cheers,

JS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the same lenses and the 80/2.8 but haven't used them enough to give an informed and results based opinion. I have no complaint with my 150/4, just happened to pick up a 150/2.8 for the right price. I haven't sold the 150/4 as I'll probably keep it for travelling.

I will say the 45mm is a pretty big lump of glass, as is the 80/1.9 (compared to the 80/2.8). You could substitute a 150/2.8 for the 150/4 and have the heaviest 3 lens 645 combo around I'd guess.

You may have 3 different filter sizes amongst that lot. That is one good feature of a 55/2.8, 80/2.8 and 150/4 combo... all 58mm filters.

My 1000s has a couple of nicer items than my Pro TL, firstly a threaded cable release, and the second shutter release which is much better positioned for vertical compositions. It also sounds nicer when firing the shutter... and more resounding 'ka chunk'

I have one of the extension tubes. They are fiddly to mount but a good addition to have.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Its been a few years since I played with the Mamiya, but it was nice to use as I recall. My chromes still look good too . If it's a reasonable price, you can't go too far long. My favorite lens way back then was the 35mm. Nice sharp and WIDE!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have the 45mm S (compact one that predates the N version, 67mm filters), the 80 2.8 and the 150 3.5. I may have three different lenses than you are looking at in this kit, so I guess my opinion might be less than totally valid. That said, I love all of my lenses. I also have a 210 f4 and I love it as well. They are all sharp and create wonderful images. I have heard nothing but good about the 80mm 1.9 and the only realy complaint I hear about the older 45 is that the 77mm filters are a pain. I have heard little about the 150mm f4, it seems to be a bit less common than the 3.5. (Perhaps the 3.5 replaced it, I am not sure.

I also used to own a 1000s, I now use a Super because I wanted the interchangable backs. I have loved both of my 645s and am a huge fan of the camera.

Have fun!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an original 645, which does not differ much from the 1000S, 80mm 2.8 (both N & C lenses), 150 F4, and 210 F4. I also have a 645E body.

Have no complaints at all about any of the kit, it all works really well and the lenses are all superb. Have been looking around for a 35/45 cheap on the second hand market but they are fairly scarce at the price point I'm hoping to pay. I may have to lift my price...

In some ways I enjoy the older 645 over the 645E. More solid feel, quieter mirror noise that the 645E, and as Nige said the dual shutter buttons come in really handy. And I can use the ground glass on the 645. Note that if you get a prism with the unit, it's a common fault to have a horizontal line across the finder that looks like a scratch. Apparently it's separation of glass/mirror elements inside the finder. Mine has the line but now I'm used to it I never notice it any more.

I also graduated from a TLR to the Mam645 system and I enjoy both cameras immensely for different shooting situations.

Glenn

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I replaced my 35mm with the M645 and love it. I normally carry the 80mm(2.8), 55mm, and 35mm. I find that I use the 35 more than the 55. I have the 150 and carry it when I think I may need the longer lens. One thing I like about the M645 is the easy MLU switch. And there are lots of accessories available at KEH and on eBay.
    JeffW.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use a 645 1000s and 2 m645's for backup, will sell all my 35mm stuff and 3 ex wives b4 i get rid of the Mamiyas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a M645 and the original 45/2.8 (with 77mm filter thread) in addition to the 80/4 macro and 110/2.8. The 45mm was bought used; it can't have seen much use as it looks almost like new. Most likely it has been sitting on a shelf most of its life... However the aperture is somewhat sticky - it is possible the change the aperture, but the blades move slowly. Usable in manual mode, but not in auto stop down mode. Not uncommon for lenses which have seen little or no use, so this should be checked as a cleaning may be required (I assume this is valid for all lenses). Otherwise the 45 is a nice, sharp lens - but it's not exactly small and lightweight

If the condition is good and the price is right, go for it!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have the 80/1.9, and it's a beautiful lens. Very sharp when needed, pleasantly (silky) smooth opened up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails anna1.jpg   anna3.jpg  
    Nate Davis

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Thanks

The info you folks have provided has been very helpful. I'm going to go for the deal, but will have to part with my F80 body and C330 to be able to swing it and still look my wife squarely in the eye when the package arrives!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin