Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,072   Online: 948

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Simple question about using Polaroid film for medium format.

Hi everyone. I've been pondering the idea of trying some type 55 with my mamiya 645. It may be a stupid question but when using the polaroid backs, is there some way to get more than one exposure per 4x5 sheet or is it a one shot per sheet deal. I'm just curious because at about $65 per 20 sheets it seems a little wasteful to only use a fraction of the emulsion area. I didn't know if maybe the mamiya polaroid backs had some mechanism to allow more full use of the sheet. Thanks for any info.

Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'm sure that the Mamiya back uses the pack film rather than the 4x5 film. You would be using the 665/667 pack films.
    JeffW.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The polaroid 405 holder is the one adapted for MF cameras (works on 4x5 too) and it uses the 66* series pack films. 665 is a lot less expensive than Type 55. Check out the prices at Adorama or B&H and you'll see the difference. Don't be afraid to buy expired Polaroid B&W film on e-bay. That can save some bucks too.
    Semper Fi & God Bless America
    My Photography Blog

boc

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just a note on expired Polaroid. I bought some expired 690 (color) and it all had a pinkish hue to it. Not sure if it was due to being expired or not but I've stayed away from expired Polaroid since then. It may be perfectly fine for B&W but I thought I'd mention it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ah yes it is much more clear now. I had no idea how the polaroid backs/film compatability issue applied to medium format. Thanks for the clarification.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can get two 4.5x6 exposures on one sheet of 6xx (664, 690 etc 3¼ x 4¼) Polaroid. I'm not familiar with the Mamiya version of the holder, but the usual way is to pull the first (white tab) sheet out part way - so that the tip of the tab is 2½ inches (62 mm) from the slot in the holder. This assumes that the first exposure was made in the right place. Some holders have a wire frame that shows you how far out to pull the tab. No doubt someone with a Mamiya back will add better information.

Best,
    Helen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Expired Polaroid works great until the reagent dries... then it is dead.

I would say ... be afraid. There really isn't a way to know unless you try a specific batch.

BTW, it doesn't go bad litle by little... it's good today, dead tomorrow.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My experience with expired Pola film has been that refrigerated film is good for about 2 years after the listed date and non-refrigerated film for 8 to 12 months. After that, it can be very hit-or-miss. I have used 5 year-old 665 that worked fine and I had one pack that was 2 years past that was useless.
    JeffW.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin