Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,456   Posts: 1,570,577   Online: 919

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Wedding and 220 film

I ocassionaly do weddings for family and friends, using 120 (645 format) for the formal shots and 35 for the candids, I'm doing one in October and looking through my freezer for some portra last night I found 2 pro packs of Fuji NPS 220, I don't use much 220, these were bought and frozen yrs ago and only 1 roll is missing. What are your thoughts on this film for weddings?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have been shootng wedding for many years on NPS, in fact, even though others disagree at times, I find NPS to be one of the best films for weddings and senior shots I have ever found, I would say go for it. It will take a bit to get used to the 220 length over the 120 length, when you first start shooting it, you will think your camera is broke and the roll will never end, especially in a 645 format!

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    My Bronica uses two different backs for 120 and 220 film...normally the lack of paper backing on 220 necessitates a different pressure plate setting.

I'm a big proponent of 220 film. On the other hand shooting a wedding is a major responsibility. I wouldn't trust the film for a wedding even if I shot a test roll first and had it developed. Enough can go wrong, even with redundant equipment and fresh film. Why take a chance?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I agree with Tom. If you're going to shoot someone's wedding -- a once-in-a-lifetime event (well, maybe for only 50% of the population) -- don't cut corners with old film.

Buy some fresh film and peace of mind. It's not that expensive.

If you're just shooting for fun, then go for it. If you're getting paid for this job, get new film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I agree, buy new but 220 I think is great film to use. Although, I shot my first all 120 wedding last weekend and I liked that I could have a different film every 15 frames, if I wanted.... As opposed to 36 exp, 35mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    When we shoot for somebody else, we're obliged to use first rate materials and do all we can to do the job right.

When we go on our vacation, we can fart around.

Save this super 220 film for fun, and get some new 120 for the wedding.

cheers
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To answer your question, nps looks good for weddings. Nice color rendition and looks great when subjects are in the shade. I don't have a flash set up for my 67II and i don't like using flash when possible. I just shot a wedding on my 67II w/o flash so i shot most of the posed photos in shade.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks everyone for your replies, I didn't even think about how old the film was, I buy and freeze and haven't had any problems, but you're right I shud use fresh 120 for the ceremony. I was primarily concerned with whether NPS was suitable for a wedding and if 220 was any different, besides length and backing, than 120, and you pretty much answered it. thanks again

Shooter
    Multi Format
    While we're on this subject, I have the standard 80mm f2.8 lens and the 110mm f2.8 lens, which would be better?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin