Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,327   Online: 941

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm
    bohica, craft precedes art. If you want to produce the results you want, not some random who knows what, you're going to have to master the craft. That means learning technique.
    Sorry, that's how it is,
    Did I miss something? I thought bohica asked a relatively simple question about "f/stops". Where did s/he request information about "mastering photography"?
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    In a post on the first page of this thread Bohica said this, "thanks paul and Clare. I thought it would but I try not to get to much into the tech side of photography, it reduces some of the fun for me". To which Dan Fromm replied what you quoted.

lee\c

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I know that, Lee. It is, to me, dangerous to answer an unasked question.
    It came across - to me -as, "You asked about f/stops? You know, you really must master photography!"

Hey ... that would be a good question ... "How do I Master Photography?"

Anyone want to take a stab at that one? Answers must be not more than three words in length.
    Carpe erratum!!

Ed Sukach, FFP.

Shooter
    Multi Format

How do I Master Photography

KIS(S)
    S°ren

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sigh. DOF is controlled by magnification and aperture, focal length has nothing to do with it. There's a widely-held misperception that longer lenses give less DOF than shorter ones. True, if one takes the same, but narrower, picture with the longer lens from the same shooting position, but the reason this happens is that the longer lens is giving higher magnification. Step back with the long lens to get the same magnification and you'll get the same DOF.

Cheers,
    Dan,

Focal length equates manification, which in shooting the same subject at the same distance you will have less depth of field, one other way to increase magnification is macro extention tubes, or special close focus designs, which will also yield less depth of field, which of course is a different subject.

Dave

Shooter
    35mm
    So Edward, perhaps you can give me an example of where it does not equal a fraction. Perhaps you could also give me an example where a ratio does not result in a fraction. How different is 1:12 to 1/12?
    Claire (Ms Anne Thrope is in the darkroom)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Sukach
    Did I miss something? I thought bohica asked a relatively simple question about "f/stops". Where did s/he request information about "mastering photography"?
    Yes, Ed, you did. I was replying to Dave Parker, not to bohica. bohica wants to know enough and no more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Satinsnow
    Dan,

Focal length equates manification, which in shooting the same subject at the same distance you will have less depth of field, one other way to increase magnification is macro extention tubes, or special close focus designs, which will also yield less depth of field, which of course is a different subject.

Dave
    Dave, I didn't know you stood rooted to the spot and used a zoom lens ...

But seriously and all kidding aside, do the arithmetic. The results may surprise you a little. That a short lens can, in special circumstances, give more DOF than a long one in the equivalent final print was a surprise to me.

Cheers,

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Dan, I'm afraid I've missed something too. The 'mastering photography' comment appeared before Dave's and is addressed to bohica...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dave, I didn't know you stood rooted to the spot and used a zoom lens ...

But seriously and all kidding aside, do the arithmetic. The results may surprise you a little. That a short lens can, in special circumstances, give more DOF than a long one in the equivalent final print was a surprise to me.

Cheers,

Howdy Dan,

I am a bit confused, I would expect a shorter length lens to give more DOF field..than a long lens...

I rarely shoot zoom lenses, but do use super telephotos all the time in the wildlife work I do..

Have a good one.

Dave

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin