Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,777   Online: 1000

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Street Photography

I have been thinking of adding street photography to the large format work that I do. I have both a prism and waist level finder for my Bronica. I have never done any street photography. Am I correct in thinking that the waist level finder is less intrusive and intimidating then the having a camera at eye level?

The other thing that I have thought is that the waist level finder will pretty much limit me to a horizontal format on the 645. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks for any insights and experience that you can share.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don, years ago when I lived in Atlanta I would go out at lunch and do street photography. I found it less intrusive to use my TLR with the waist level finder. I could also face one way and turn the camera 90-degrees to shoot to be further less intrusive.
    juan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    yep the waist finder is less intrusive. A friend has the Hassy SWC. He and I have always felt that it would make the ultimate street camera. needing little more than zone focusing and maybe a bubble level -- meaning no need for a finder of any kind.

you could do something similar with a wide or super wide and make the finder optional.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    ...and just what's wrong with intrusive?
    http://www.magnumphotos.com/c/htm/Tr...&E=29YL53IRENK

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are times when you don't want people to know that you are shooting them so that they will not pose (any more than they do on average). For some photographers this is more often the case than not.

Of course there is the poseur street photographer, but that would be a different thread.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    TLR's are the way to go. Both very quite and unintrusive. Unless of course you want to wear a beanie and pretend your HCB. Then grab a Leica.

I have just recently done some street stuff with an auto focus Nikon N90s and a wideangle. Did it Les McLean style, camera in the crook of my arm as if my arms are folded and just let'er rip as you go by. Or they go by, which ever works.

You should have some fun with this. Look forward to seeing the results.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Large Format
    Thanks everyone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might find it hard to aim though. when people are moving (fast) I am always struggeling with the viewfinder because of it's mirror effect.

And although I am a big fan of manual focus, peace and calm when taking pictures. Autofocus is a great tool for street photography, it makes your hit ratio a lot bigger. But heehee the challange and reward with a waist viewfinder.. yeah.

Just some thoughts, cheers and best of luck!
    Quinten

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also find, if the light is good enough, that I can set to f/16 for a maximum DOF and then focus becomes far less critical negating the need to raise the camera to eye level.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A 21mm lens for street photography

I use a 21mm lens set at 2 metres: practically everything is then in focus and, since the coverage is so large, you don't even have to raise the camera to your face. The only thing you have to do, and with practice it is not so difficult, is to keep the camera level to avoid distorting perspectives too much. In fact, I use a spirit level rather than a viewfinder on my Leica for that purpose.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin