Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,940   Posts: 1,585,656   Online: 896

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Prism Finder for Hassy; questions

Hi!

I've been thinking about getting an eye level prism finder with a meter for my Hassy 500 c/m. There are a couple things that confuse me, though...

* The descriptions of some that I've seen at KEH say that the finder cannot be used with an accu-mat screen... does this mean that I must remove the screen and get a different screen, or just remove the screen?

* I'd like to get one with a meter built in...does anyone have one of these? How does it work? Do you have to remove it to change the back?

Thanks for your help!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BWGirl
    Hi!

I've been thinking about getting an eye level prism finder with a meter for my Hassy 500 c/m. There are a couple things that confuse me, though...

* The descriptions of some that I've seen at KEH say that the finder cannot be used with an accu-mat screen... does this mean that I must remove the screen and get a different screen, or just remove the screen?

* I'd like to get one with a meter built in...does anyone have one of these? How does it work? Do you have to remove it to change the back?

Thanks for your help!
    The newer Acute-matte screens are brighter than the old screens, thus fooling the exposimeter of metered prisms not calibrated for AM. I think the error is something like one stop. You can't use the cameras without a screen (well, you can but you can't focus!). It is possible to recalibrate the old prisms, I think the best bet is an authorised service man.

You don't have to remove the prism to change backs, but you must remove the back to change viewfinders.
    The camera is merely the means of capturing the image.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Jeanette,

Emil has said it all, but maybe you want to check this thread on the subject!

http://www.hasselbladinfo.com/discus...s/6/15503.html

Cheers

André

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    You can use the old type focussing screen with the exposure meter on the H/B 500CM. But as stated, the new type Acute Matte Screens, produced since 1998, are brighter. Hasselblad say, they give a more accurate reading. You will not need to remove the screen for any purpose save to clear it of dust, it is only a matter of sliding a clip each side of the screen to remove it.
    I have both screens for my 500CM (C. 1980), they work perfectly well with the meter eye level focussing hood with the old or new screens.
    It may well be that the very latest hoods are calibrated for the latest acute-matte screens only.
    It is also worth bearing in mind that Hasselblad have produced eight different screens, and four different focussing hoods with meters since 1970. As far as I am aware all will fit the 500CM, with meter or not.

I think you should ask yourself whether you really want the meter version as I have found it less useful than a good quality separate meter that can be use for refective and incident reading with spot preferences.
    However, they state that the acute-matte screen is the only screen that will give correct exposures with the latest Meter Prism Viewfinders.
    Get in touch if you need more help. Stan. L-B
    Last edited by Stan. L-B; 09-11-2005 at 03:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    'Determine on some course more than a wild exposure to each chance' The Bard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info! I guess the first thing is to determine what screen I have. (start at the beginning).

I've got a nice little meter...I guess I was thinking of a way to carry one less thing around my neck! haha

Thanks for the thread link, Andre!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On my Hassie, I only have the waistlevel and acute matte, so no meter. But with my cameras that do have meters, I still prefer my separate handheld meter.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin