Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,575   Posts: 1,545,706   Online: 757

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pentacon six

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

pentacon six

has any one ever had a pentacon six. do they work well?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bicycletricycle
    has any one ever had a pentacon six. do they work well?
    Yes, I have a couple of them and yes, they work well. I prefer the latest models (just before they became Exactas). They have a low flash synch speed and they may develop frame spacing difficulties.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had three of them, and for the money, they are a great way to get into medium format, they are heavy, but not a big deal, they have a great selection of lenses made by various manufactures, as Tom stated, they can develop film spacing problems and only 1/30 flash snyc, but there are various finders available for them, a good strong breechlok type lens mount and a wide selection of lenses available for them..

Decent quality low cost medium format camera.

Dave

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Also had one--my first MF camera. Decent lenses, particularly the CZJ 50mm Flektogon, but the frame spacing problem can be a frustration.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've recently picked one up, and am really happy with it.

No film spacing problems, and the lens is nice and sharp. I don't find the viewfinder too dark either, and I have the TTL prism. It is not that heavy either, and is easy enough to carry around over the shoulder for a few hours walking.

To ensure you don't have film spacing problems, first start by reading the correct loading instructions. This should prevent most problems. There is the "baier" winding method that will also help ensure frame spacing problems are avoided. Lastly there is a modification that can be made that gives you a visual indication as to whether the film has wound on enough.

There are a great selection of good lenses at reasonable prices (especially wide angles and longer telephotos), plus other accessories such as different finders, extension tubes and bellows, etc. and all at good prices.

Worth a punt I reckon, especially if you buy from a reputable seller.

Paul

I like them; have one overhauled by a trusted technician and it works beautifully; I am not sure if the Kiev 60 is a nicer camera, having used both side-by-side. The prism finders make it somewhat top-heavy, and the waist-level finder nowhere as good as that of the Kiev (although Baier sells an adapter to mate the two together). But a well maintained one is very pleasant, and has extremely low vibration, quite suitable for hand-held work.

By the way, the "mushroom" strap lugs are positioned at the sides of the mirror housing so wearing it around your neck can be a little painful; the original strap is leather and the spring clips are somewhat easily distorted. Use the bottom half of the ERC instead, or get Op/Tech strap with the correct fitting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Kiev 6C,60 and some of the 88s take the same lenses. That means you can change bodies later if for some reason you don't like the body but like the lenses. Plus the same lenses can be used on a Pentax 645,Mamiya 645 and maybe others with just an adaptor.

The 1/30 sync speed has been mentioned but my Pentax is only 1/60. Not exactly a big difference. Unless you want a leaf shutter camera most will have low sync speeds.

OTOH other MF cameras are fairly cheap right now. Prices are a lot closer then they used to be.

I have one which works fine. The film advance lever needs to be treated gently as it is the cameras weak point and is related to the spacing problems.

Many people do not realize that the Biometer is in fact a Planar.

Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    I had two of them.I sold them a few months ago. Serious problems with focusing screens not able to get them adjusted correctly,resulting in out focus pictures. Film counter failed in both. Prices for P6 and lenses are ridiculous for the moment. But I must they can produce very sharp pictures if you get a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Layne
    Many people do not realize that the Biometer is in fact a Planar.
    The Biometar is not a Planar; for that matter the Rolleiflex and Hasselblad versions of the Planar are not really Planars either, but modified version using five elements instead of six: a cemented doublet replaced by a single element. The Biometar is like that as well, but it has the back doublet turned into a single element rather than the front, which is similar to the Xenotar.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin