Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,564   Posts: 1,573,412   Online: 879

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: kiev 88

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

kiev 88

has anyone had a kiev88 or the upgraded versions of these cameras made by arax and hartblei/ experience comments, thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bicycletricycle
    has anyone had a kiev88 or the upgraded versions of these cameras made by arax and hartblei/ experience comments, thanks
    The Kiev is at the height of former Soviet block technology-it is garbage. Save your money and but an old Hasselblad.

When you upgrade garbage, what do you have? Save your money and buy an old Hasselblad.
    Last edited by Jim McD; 09-13-2005 at 01:00 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: misspelled word

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Delphi [I think] used to have a Kiev group. Might still. It would be full of people with Kievs.

The question I'm going to ask is what are you looking for? A Arax or Hartblei is going to cost no less then many other MF choices today. It used to make great sense a few years ago but today it's a closer call. You have to look at the various features to decide what is the best deal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hartblei will change the back connection on the 88 to take Hasselblad backs. Funny part? The Hassellblad back then becomes the weak part of the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had a Hartblei modified Kiev and it was a great camera, not a problem ever, but with prices now a days, I would find a good used hassleblad and go with that, right now they are almost a dime a dozen for many of the medium format cameras.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try looking here for more info. I don't own one, but have been considering many MF choices, saving up money - and thought I would be remiss to not check into the Kievs. From the advice I got, the spotty quality control (even by the admission of those who like them) and the inconsistant performance acroos various production runs, etc., makes it a bit of a dicy proposition, especially with a nice RB67 able to be had for $400 sometimes, and even older hassys are creeping into the $500 range... As someone who is basically in your shoes (looking to buy and doing the research) I have looked, and after conisderation - I gave up on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Hartblei, is an entirly different beast, you will not find spotty quality control on them, they are completely disassembled and redone by this company, but agree with prices the way they are, you can get others for less money.

Dave

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Same thing with the Arax but for the money you can get a Bronica ETRSI kit. Latest model camera. Once you add in shipping you might even get two lenses for the ETRSI for what the 88 costs. That's a late model camera with all the features. The older ones are even less money.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bicycletricycle
    I don't know anything about the upgraded hartblei/arax cameras but I have a plain Jane 88CM Kiev and it has been a really nice and reliable camera. This is the model that takes Pentacon Six/Kiev 60 lenses. I bought the camera because I had some really nice German glass in Pentacon Six mount (50mm Flektogon, 120 Biometer, 180 Zeiss Sonnar and 300 Zeiss Sonnar).

I bought my Kiev 88CM for $175 on ebay, in mint condition with two backs, a TTL meter prism, and 80mm multi-coated lens. I tried to find a Hasselblad with two backs, metered prism and lens at the same price, but to no avail.

Sandy

Shooter
    Large Format
    A friend brought a Kiev 88 back from a trip to russia. I shot test negs against a Hasselblad, mamiya c330 and a 1950's Zenobia 645 my father shot in the Korean war. The Kiev was the worst of the bunch. The lens was junk. Why buy a camera that will give you a poor neg? She now lets her grandchildren play "pictures" with it. She paid about $320.00 for it a Mamiya c330 can be had for about $450.00 in good shape with great optics.
    DIGITAL IS FOR THOSE AFRAID OF THE DARK.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin