Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,522   Posts: 1,572,254   Online: 743

Shooter
    Multi Format

flash recommendations?

Hi.
    I'm about to invest in a flash adaptor for my Mamiya C330.
    Is there a particular brand or type of flash which works with this?
    A common mistake people made when designing something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Computers are incredibly stupid,but they are capable of being incredibly stupid many millions of times a second.

Both said by Doug Adams

Only put off until tomorrow that which you are prepared to die having not done-Pablo Picasso

Shooter
    Multi Format
    New ? Used? Budget? How much power do you expect to need? Today Metz 45 can be cheap used if you're patient. Plenty of power at a guide number of 45 meters. The auto sensor seems fairly accurate [at least the two I own] Plenty of doo hickies out there for the line. If you have other cameras then get either the model that ends in a 3 or a 4. Metz 45-3 ct [or cl] Metz 45-4 ct or cl. This way with the right module you can get full TTL out of the flash and a camera that supports it.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hi Nick

Initially,cost is only moderately important.
    Mostly,I want a set up which is suitable for indoor portraits with a shallow depth of field,so I was thinking more along the lines of around 25 to 30gn so I can use an aperture of f6.3 or less.
    I've got a 65mm lens(and I'm looking into getting a 55mm),so I'll be pretty close most of the time.
    A common mistake people made when designing something completely foolproof was to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

Computers are incredibly stupid,but they are capable of being incredibly stupid many millions of times a second.

Both said by Doug Adams

Only put off until tomorrow that which you are prepared to die having not done-Pablo Picasso

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    For low-medium power, there are lots of options. I have a little Metz unit that I use in that way. The venerable Vivitar 283 or 285 would do as well. (By GN 25-30, I'm guessing you mean metres, not feet).

My usual portable flash unit is a Norman 200C setup. If you want flash with interchangeable reflectors and diffusers and more power to double as portable studio lighting and as a supplement to more powerful studio lights, consider Norman, Lumedyne, or Quantum.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you're going to be shooting that wide -- 55 mm on nominal 6x6 sees about the same horizontal angle of view as a 30 mm on 35 mm still -- you'll need a flash that covers the angle. So look into flashes with zoom heads or w/a adapters.

A small word of caution about 283. I have three, clearly like 'em, but their power is over-rated about one stop at full output. That is, my Minolta Flash Meter (the 1969 one) says that all three put out the same power at full power, however obtained, and with a VP-1 set to 1/2 power.

Good luck, have fun,

Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    In reference to your question as to whether a flash adapter for a C330 works TTL and you need a particular flash to do so, I don't know. That might be referenced at the Mamiya site if you care to look. Regardless, and I'm sure you must have x synch, instead of looking for a low power flash that would work for the way you want to shoot, instead look for a powerful flash that is manually adjustable. You want something that can mimick a studio strobe where you can set the power (flash ratio in small portable flash terms) at what you need. This way you can use it for a variety of uses, background, hair light etc and have the power to do so. Also you'll want to diffuse the light with silk or other diffussion material for softer light when you want it, so you'll need something with more power. There are so many models available so that it's really up to you in what you want to spend. Personally I use Nikon SB24's, Sunpak 120 J's and recently bought a Metz 20BC, althought it's not manually adjustable, except for me moving it back or forth. Any flash will work, and manual is the way to go for sitting portraits.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin